Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice
Toggle menu

Anti-social behaviour

Report anti-social behaviour

If anti social behaviour is causing alarm or distress to you or the community where you live, you should report it to the Community Safety team. Complaints of noise or anti-social behaviour by your neighbour can be reported online.

Phone: 0191 433 3000

Anti-social behaviour can include issues such as:

  • littering                                             
  • graffiti                                   
  • youth disorder
  • vandalism / criminal damage     
  • fireworks                  
  • vehicle nuisance
  • animal nuisance                            
  • noise                         
  • neighbour nuisance
  • drug misuse / dealing                   
  • hate incidents         
  • harassment

Neighbour nuisance

If you are experiencing neighbour nuisance problems, the first step is to talk to your neighbour. If you feel unable to do this then you should report the problem to the relevant agency. You will then receive advice and support whilst the matter is investigated and you will be advised what action can be taken to help you. You may need to provide information and evidence to support your complaints. Noise nuisance is one of the most common problems experienced by residents.

Noise nuisance

One of the most common issues problems experienced by residents is noise nuisance. We all make noise in some way whether it be vacuuming or carrying out DIY in our home however the noise we make can affect those people around us. Someone may not think they are being noisy, but what may not seem noisy to one person can greatly distress someone else, especially if this is during quiet times such as through the night. Excessive noise can cause sleepless nights, irritation and stress and can often lead to conflict with neighbours and communities.

Our approach

Gateshead Council's Community Safety Team is responsible for producing a multi-agency Anti-social Behaviour Strategy. This outlines the approach that we take to tackle anti-social behaviour in Gateshead and how we work with our partner agencies to ensure that the measures are fair and effective and provide the most appropriate form of support to victims.

ASB, Crime and Policing Act 2014

There are a number of different tools and powers that can be used by the Council and its partners to tackle ASB in your neighbourhood.  These tools and powers have changed significantly following the introduction of the ASB, Crime and Policing Act 2014. Local Authorities and Police have now been given more flexible tools to tackle low level crime and anti-social behaviour.  The reforms are designed to ensure that professionals have effective powers that are easy to use and provide better protection for vulnerable victims and communities and act as a real deterrent to perpetrators. 

Visit the Home Office website for an outline of all the changes in the ASB, Crime and Policing Act. 

How can I report anti-social behaviour?

Northumbria Police

If you feel that somebody's life is in danger or a crime is taking place, phone 999
To report all other crimes or incidents, or for general information and advice, phone 101

 Gateshead Council Housing

You can contact Gateshead housing by calling 0191 433 5353 or if you require specialist advice, please contact the Neighbourhood Relations Team on:
0191 433 5327
Mobile: Text 'ENQ' and your message to - 07624 804 167.

Private Sector Housing Team
0191 433 3000.

Citizens Advice Bureau (Gateshead)
0344 245 1288 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

Community Trigger

If you have reported anti-social behaviour to us three times or more within the last six months, and you feel that no action has been undertaken, then you could ask for a case review using the Community Trigger process. Find out more about Icon for pdf Gateshead Community Trigger [34.42KB]

0191 433 3000 (Quote 'Community Trigger')

Community Trigger,
Community Safety Team, 
Civic Centre,
Gateshead NE8 1HH


No applications were made to the Community Trigger for reporting period 2015 - 2016 and 2016 - 2017. For reporting period 2014 - 2015, there were two applications for the Community Trigger. Neither met the threshold for review as action was already being taken and these complaints were being investigated.

Help us improve this site by giving feedback