Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice, including details of the current lockdown rules and service updates

Noise complaints

Neighbour noise advice during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

Everyone will be experiencing difficulties and stresses because of the current restrictions on movement, with most people being confined to their homes and where available, gardens, for most of the day for the foreseeable future. A considerable number of people will need to work from home and children will be doing school work at home.

These restrictions are clearly essential to reduce the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect everyone's health and save lives. However, that means we will probably be seeing and hearing more of our neighbours than we are used to. In some situations, this may lead to frustrations or annoyance with noise we do not want to hear.

Read our advice about reducing noise and noise problems

Industrial or commercial noise

The Environment Protection Team deals with problems of excessive noise from industrial and commercial properties including construction sites, pubs, clubs, hotels, noise from road works and commercial intruder alarms.

Industrial and commercial noise can be reported online using the link below or by telephone on 0191 433 3000.

Domestic noise and noisy neighbours

The council also investigates neighbour noise problems. Excessive noise in residential areas can originate from a wide range of sources including radio, TV, pets, alarms, parties, carrying out of household chores, people noise, DIY and more.

Excessive noise can be disruptive to a person's health. It is important to be a considerate neighbour and to be conscious of the noise you may be making when in your own home.

If you have a domestic noise complaint, where possible, you should try to resolve the issue with your neighbour, they may not realise the effect they are having. If your neighbour is a tenant you may wish to discuss the matter with their landlord as the tenant may be in breach of their tenancy agreement. If you feel this is not appropriate or if you think your neighbour may react angrily to your concern then you can report it online or by contacting our private sector housing team using the contact details below.

It helps if you can keep a record of instances of excessive noise. This record should include times, times, dates, durations and origin of the noise. You should also keep a record of any correspondence you have with your neighbour regarding the noise complaint. If we find that a nuisance exists then appropriate actions can be taken.

Anonymous complaints

We encourage anyone who feels the need to report noise issues to us to supply us with their details. The identity of the complainant will remain confidential however this point of contact will allow a more detailed enquiry to be undertaken. Remaining anonymous will severely limit how an enquiry can be progressed.

Report a commercial or domestic noise complaint

Noisy neighbours in council owned property

Complaints about noisy neighbours in council owned property can be made to your nearest office of The Gateshead Housing Company.


Contact us

Environmental Protection Team
Development Transport and Public Protection
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 2350

Private Sector Housing
Development and Enterprise
Civic Centre

0191 433 3000


Share this page