Toggle menu

Out of hours emergency contacts

Only phone the numbers on this page in a genuine emergency.

When there is an immediate threat to health or safety you need to contact the Police, Fire Brigade or Ambulance Service.

In an emergency, dial 999 or 112.

ServiceContact details
Accident and emergency (A&E)

An A&E department will treat serious injuries and sudden illness. If it is not an emergency then you should visit a local pharmacy, contact your local doctor (GP) or NHS Direct (opens new window).

Gateshead Emergency Department (A&E)
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Sheriff Hill
0191 482 0000

Anti-social behaviour or other incidents not classed as an emergency

Northumbria Police (opens new window)

03456 043 043

Dentists and doctors surgeriesIn an emergency, you can usually call your local surgery for a recorded message explaining how to contact the doctor or dentist on duty. If you are not registered with a doctor or dentist, you can use the NHS website (opens new window) to find your local GP, urgent care services, general health advice and information.
Extreme weather / floodingAdvice and information on floods and flood warnings, Floodline (opens new window) 0845 988 1188. Or Environment Agency (opens new window) 0800 807 060.
Fire Brigade

Dial 999 or 112 in an emergency.

Local fire officers can provide helpful advice about fire safety. For details of your Local Fire Safety Office (opens new window), contact Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service or call 0191 444 1500.


Get help if you are homeless or at risk of being made homeless.

Freephone number 0800 953 7112

Call 0191 433 3174, Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 8.45am to 4.30pm.
Emergency phone service - 0191 477 0844, 6pm to 8am weekdays and 24 hours on weekends 

Drop-in sessions with other agencies, including the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), Community Re-habituation Company (CRC), Northumbria Probation Service (NPS) and Approved Premises.

Call 0191 433 3714 to arrange an appointment.

Household emergencies

If your power supply is interrupted contact Northern Powergrid (opens new window) or call 0800 668 877.

If you smell gas anywhere, either in the house or in the street contact National Grid (opens new window) or call 0800 111 999.

For water and sewerage services contact Northumbrian Water (opens new window) or call 0345 733 5566.

HousingWe're responsible for repairing and maintaining council properties. There is a repair category system with response time targets for various types of repair. The response times take into account danger and inconvenience. Report a repair or call 0800 408 6008.
Social careThe Emergency Duty Team provides an emergency social care service to anyone living in Gateshead who needs help outside office hours, at night, weekends and bank holidays. Call 0191 477 0844.