Toggle menu

Apply for building regulations approval

For temporary period you will be unable to submit via the Planning Portal. We are working hard to rectify this. In the interim you can submit your application via Submit a Plan.

Our preferred method for applying is online. You have two options; you can apply through Submit a Plan (opens new window) or the Planning Portal (opens new window).

A change in regulations from the 6 April 2024, means any application must now be submitted on the new application forms. Unfortunately, at this time we cannot accept email submissions you will need to submit online via the Planning Portal (opens new window) or Submit a Plan (opens new window). Any email submissions at this time will be directed to an online submission.

Due to the change in regulations, you are now required to submit certain level information with your application, please ensure that you read the relevant associated notes and checklist before submitting your application, otherwise your submission could be deemed as invalid without this information.  The notes and checklists can be found below depending on the type of approval you require.

Types of building regulations approval

There are two types of building regulations approval for new building work. You need to decide which best suits your project.  More information about Building Regulations can be found on the LABC Front Door website (opens new window).

Building Control Approval with Full plans

Approval with full plans applications is suited to larger projects.  We check the applications and advise of any changes needed.  This can help prevent costly errors made when the building work starts on site.  We will issue an approval certificate once the proposed plans meet the regulations.  We will carry out inspections of the work once it is in progress and issue a completion certificate once the Building Control Surveyor is satisfied that the works completed complies with the Building Regulations.

It comprises of drawings, design details, specification and calculation and it is usually submitted by the architect or plan drawing agent who is designing your project.  Once received, the council will assess your application and consult with the water and fire services if necessary.  Once any queries are resolved, the building control team will issue a Decision Notice within five weeks from the date of the deposit (or two months if you've agreed to an extension).  A Conditional Approval may be issued which allows you to provide further information once it's available.

An approval with full plans is valid for 3 years from the date you made the application.

You are required to submit certain information with your application, please read the Approval with Full Plans Notes and Checklist (PDF) [172KB] (opens new window)   to ensure that you are submitting the correct type of application and information.

Building notices

A Building Notice is generally suitable for small alteration and projects - for example an additional window or removing an internal wall.  It's a faster process meaning you can start 48 hours after deposit (or earlier) it cannot be used if you are going to be building over or close to a public sewer or altering a commercial building.  Please note you need to be aware that a Building Notice puts more responsibility for knowing and complying with the building regulations on the person carrying out the work and the property owner.

You are required to submit certain information with your application, please read the Building Notice Notes and Checklist (PDF) [177KB] (opens new window) to ensure that you are submitting the correct type of application and information.

Retrospective Assessment of Building Work (Regularisation)

If you or a previous owner carried out work without obtaining permission, you may be able to apply to have this approved retrospectively. This is called a Regularisation. This is only possible for work carried out on or after the 11 November 1985.

You'll be asked for plans and calculations to show what was done and the work will be inspected. Please be aware that you may be asked to open up various areas of the building so the surveyor can check things that have been covered up like beams, pipes and insulation. If everything appears to meet the regulations that were in place at the time the work was carried out, you'll receive a Regularisation Certificate.

You are required to submit certain information with your application, please read the Regularisation Notes and Checklist (PDF) [162KB] (opens new window)  to ensure that you are submitting the correct type of application and information.

If you need any further advice about your Regularisation, please contact us below.


Once you have submitted your application, we will contact you to arrange payment of the appropriate fee.  We cannot validation your application until the correct fee has been paid in full.

  • For a Building Notice the fee is paid in full up front
  • For Approval with Full Plans, we require only the plan submission charge to validate your application, however you may wish to also pay your inspection charge at this time. The benefits of paying your inspection charge up front means we will not need to request further payment at the time of work starting on site and that we can issue your Completion Certificate without delay once the building surveyor has agreed completion of works.

Building Control fees 

Building control fees are split into 3 categories:

How to pay

The quickest and easiest way to pay is online.

You can also pay via bank transfer, however this can take up to 5 to 10 working days to process and therefore will delay the processing of your application. Please contact us for details.


Contact us

Development and Public Protection
Building Control
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3150