Toggle menu

Accumulations of rubbish

Homeowners and tenants are responsible for ensuring that their rubbish is properly disposed of. 

We can take action against accumulations of rubbish that

  • rot and produce foul odours
  • contain quantities of food or household waste that is likely to attract rats or other vermin
  • are the product of demolition or collapse of a structure

You can tell us about rubbish that is accumulating on private land by phoning Customer Services on 0191 433 3000.

Bulky collections

You can arrange a special collection of rubbish that will not fit into your wheelie bin. You may be charged a collection fee depending on the items for collection.

Arrange a bulky waste collection


We also have the power to take action on those that are responsible for dumping refuse on public land, such as parks, grass verges or in back lanes.

If you are aware of someone doing this or would like to inform us where fly-tipping has occurred please report it to us using the link below.