- Council tenant support
- Private tenant support
- Private landlord support
- Empty properties
- Housing problems
- Advice for tenants and landlords
- Buying a home
- Gypsies and Travellers
- Homeowner support
- Sheltered accommodation
- House inspection for immigration
- Support in your home
- Moving for health reasons
We have adopted a housing strategy that will focus on ensuring that people who live, or would like to live in Gateshead can access, sustain and remain in a home that meets their needs and is safe, secure and affordable, in a thriving neighbourhood, at whatever stage of life they are. The Strategy provides a framework for the Council's housing-related strategic functions and activity, and includes its homelessness and rough sleeping strategy.
Our Housing Strategy 2019-30 [815.72KB] covers all types of housing in the Borough, whether it is:
- council owned and managed by The Gateshead Housing Company
- rented from a housing association or private landlord
- owner occupied
The strategy is structured around three linked objectives:
- Supply - to ensure use of existing stock and supply of new housing best meets current and future needs and aspirations to create thriving, mixed communities. We want to encourage the building of sufficient new homes using land sustainably and prioritising the use of brownfield land. We also want to increase the number of empty homes brought back into use.
- Standards - to improve the quality, condition and management of housing so that all residents benefit from safe, healthy, energy efficient and well-managed homes and neighbourhoods.
- Support - to help residents access and sustain a home which promotes their wellbeing and supports them to thrive. Tackling homelessness and its root causes is a key objective.
The Strategy sets out the key priorities relating to these objectives and how we, and our partners, will work together to address them within current and future available resources.
- Local Plan
Private Sector Housing Renewal Financial Assistance Policy 1 April 2015 - 31 March 2019 [310.77KB]
This policy provides a framework for how the council awards any loan or grant aimed at improving, repairing or adapting homes in the borough. All loans and grants (excluding the Mandatory Disabled Facilities grant) are provided at the discretion of the council. At this point in time, the council is only providing limited financial assistance.
Spatial Planning and Housing Strategy Team
Communities and Environment
0191 433 2956