Toggle menu

Child work permit

School aged children wishing to take part time jobs must be licensed by the Local Authority where they will be employed.

  • children aged 13-16 years require a work permit if they wish to take part in part-time employment  
  • it is illegal to employ children under the age of 13 years old
  • the number of permitted working hours are dependent on the age of the child
  • there are some employments which are prohibited to school children

Failure to comply with licensing regulations could result in legal action being taken against the employer.

Icon for pdf Application form for school aged employment [124.92KB]

Icon for pdf Download in information leaflet about child employment [269.75KB]

Icon for pdf Download in information leaflet about delivering newspapers safely [485.16KB]

Find out more about child employment on the website.

COVID-19 Guidance for child work permits

In light of the COVID19 pandemic we have collated some general guidance and a risk assessment to help employers keep young people as safe as possible while at work. 

Contact us

Legal Intervention Team
Dryden Centre
Evistone Road

0191 433 8570

Help us improve this site by giving feedback