Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Cases are currently high, which may affect the delivery of some of our services. Check for service disruptions and find advice and support for residents and businesses.
Toggle menu

Benefits and Council Tax

£500 self-isolation payment

The government has provided support for people on certain benefits who are employed or self-employed, and whose income has reduced because they have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

This is available to people who meet the criteria and have had to self-isolate on or after Monday 28 September 2020.

Find out more about the scheme

Support applying for benefits

You can apply for most of the benefits mentioned in this section online. If you can't use a computer at all, or have reading or learning difficulties, call us on  0191 433 4646.

A package of additional government support has been made available for some people on benefits and for those in receipt of Council Tax Support. If you are entitled to more help towards Council Tax we will send you a revised bill and an explanatory letter.

The Department of Work and Pensions have published some advice about coronavirus and claiming benefits. You can view this on the Universal Credit website.

See how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you could claim.
Help us improve this site by giving feedback