Toggle menu

Help with your energy bills

If you're struggling to pay your energy bills, there are three steps you should take.

  1. Talk to your supplier
    Contact your energy supplier as soon as possible. Ofgem regulations require suppliers to work with you and agree a payment plan that's affordable, so the help they can offer is decided on a case-by-case basis.
  2. Contact Citizens Advice
    If you have already spoken to your supplier and still have concerns, contact Citizens Advice Gateshead (opens new window) or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for free on 0808 223 1133.
  3. Make a complaint
    Finally, if you still aren't satisfied with the solutions that have been offered to you, you can make a complaint to the Energy Ombudsman (opens new window).

Payments and discounts

Some groups are eligible for winter fuel payments, cold weather payments, warm home discount and other financial support from the government. Find out more about government help with energy bills. (opens new window)

Help with energy debt

The British Gas Energy Trust support (opens new window) fund provides help for people facing financial hardship, regardless of which supplier they use.