Toggle menu

Tethered horses

We are able to deal with horses tethered on public land and action can be taken to remove horses using the Animal Health Act.

We don't have a legal duty to deal with horses on private land. It's a decision for the landowner as to whether action should be taken.

If there's a problem with horses on the highway causing an immediate risk to motorists, call the Police using 999.

If you wish to report the welfare of a horse, report this to the RSPCA. (opens new window)

If you wish to report a horse which is tethered on public land for illegal horse grazing, contact us.

Contact us

Enforcement Team
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 7225