The Gateshead health and care system
Why the Gateshead health and care organisations came together
Gateshead boasts some of the best health and care services, but stubborn health inequalities persist across communities in Gateshead. We have layered resource on top of existing resource to respond to need in a siloed way - expensive and inefficient!
People have told us their experience of care is fragmented. Where our system has needed to be strongest (for example, for people with multiple and complex needs), it has often been the weakest.
Add workforce challenges and financial sustainability into the mix and we understood that we needed to work differently in order to deliver better outcomes for the people of Gateshead with less resource.
What the Gateshead Health and Care System is
The Gateshead Health and Care System is a group of local organisations that come together on a regular basis to work differently together in order to achieve better outcomes for local people. This includes:
- Gateshead Council
- NHS Newcastle Gateshead CCG
- Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
- The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Community Based Care Health / Gateshead Federation of GP Practices
- Blue Stone Consortium
Our aims and objectives
Our aims and objectives are to:
- shift the balance of services from acute hospital care and crisis interventions to community support with a focus on prevention, early help and self-help. As part of this, ensure that a shift in activity is accompanied by a shift in resource as appropriate i.e. that money follows the patient/service user;
- support the development of integrated care and treatment for people;
- create a joint planning and financial framework for managing the difficult decisions required to ensure effective, efficient and economically secure services during a period of continued public sector financial austerity, getting the most from the Gateshead Pound.
Helping people to Thrive in Gateshead
Our aims and objectives support all 5 pledges of Gateshead's Thrive agenda:
- put people and families at the heart of what we do
- tackle inequality so people have a fair chance
- support our communities to support themselves and each other
- invest in our economy to provide sustainable opportunities for employment, innovation and growth across the Borough
- work together and fight for a better future for Gateshead
Our priority areas and transformation programmes
We have identified 3 priority areas for our system work:
- Frailty (including falls) - we will focus on a review of occupational therapy, multi-disciplinary team work and anticipatory care planning.
- Children and Young Peoples' mental health and wellbeing ('best start in life') - we will focus on a review of Early Help and Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).
- Residents with multiple and complex needs - we will have a particular focus on the homeless
We have also identified a number of key transformation programmes that we are progressing as a system:
- Intermediate care
- Community health transformation
- Community model for learning disabilities
- Deciding Together, Delivering Together (adult mental health)
- End of life care
System leadership and development
We recognise the importance of collective system leadership across our organisations in taking forward our priority areas and transformation programmes. We also understand the need to continue to develop our local system and ways of working so that it is best placed to deliver our aspirations for local people. This is something we will be taking forward in parallel with our work programmes and has been identified as an additional priority in its own right.
There are a number of key documents below which set out more information on the Gateshead Health & Care System e.g. our vision and priorities for local people; details of our work; our principles and ways of working; our governance; and how Gateshead 'Place' fits into wider geographies across our region and sub-region. Our most recent documents are at the top of the list.
How does Gateshead fit into the wider system? [5.28MB] (December 2019)
Principles for Planning and Financial Delivery [113.04KB] (November 2018)
Update to our Health and Wellbeing Board [312.36KB] (October 2018)
News updates and bulletins
We had a successful afternoon development session with Directors of Finance and their representatives on 7 January where we focused on the tangible delivery of change and ways of working. During the session, we confirmed:
- the importance of partners continuing to work together building upon the strong relationships in place
- what we want to do as a system to improve the health and wellbeing outcomes for local people
- how we are going to work together to deliver our priority areas of work over the coming year
- our next steps
The outputs from the session are being written up and will be discussed further by system partners and our Health and Wellbeing Board. A bulletin will be produced summarising key points.
For further information on the Gateshead Health and Care System, contact John Costello 0191 433 2065 or email email@example.com