Toggle menu

Marriage of non-British citizens

If you are planning to get married and you are subject to immigration control while in the UK, you will need to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership and follow these rules:

  • If you are coming to the UK from overseas to get married, you must have either a fiancé or fiancée or marriage visitor visa in your passport in order to give notice to marry to a registrar.
  • If you are already in the UK, you will need to either have settled status in the UK, or apply to the Home Office for a certificate of approval before giving notice to marry to a registrar.

Find out more about the rules and what documents you will need on the website (opens new window).

Find out more about UK visas and immigration on the website (opens new window).

You are not subject to immigration control, and these rules do not apply, if you have the right of abode in the UK, or are one of the following:

  • a British citizen
  • an EEA national
  • a member of visiting forces from NATO and Commonwealth countries
  • a diplomat that is not subject to immigration control
  • If you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you need to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership.

If you want to come to the UK to marry or register a civil partnership, you will need to get the correct entry clearance. You will need this before you travel to the UK. 

For further information, or to make an appointment, please phone the Registrars Office on 0191 433 3026.

Contact us

Gateshead Register Office
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3000