Toggle menu

Council Tax privacy notice

Who we are and what we do

We look after data to allow for the billing, collection and recovery of Council Tax. Council Tax is based at the civic centre.

Why we need your information and how we use it

We will use your information for the administration of Council Tax. This includes the billing, collection and recovery of Council Tax in accordance with:

  • The Local Government Finance Act 1992
  • The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

Type of information collected 

The data that we collect and process for administering Council Tax is:

personal information such as: 

  • name
  • household makeup to apply the relevant discounts, exemptions and reliefs
  • employment and benefit details
  • income and expenditure details
  • your bank details should you pay by direct debit

Contact details including 

  • your current and previous addresses
  • telephone number
  • email address

How we collect information about you

We collect your information from you or third parties in the following ways:

  • by asking you or others to complete an online form
  • when you or others telephone our Council Tax department
  • from incoming correspondence such as emails/letters/forms/applications for discounts, reviews and exemptions from you, or others, including landlords, letting agents
  • from our benefits department
  • from the registrar of births, deaths and marriages
  • through requests for information from other local authorities and public bodies
  • from credit searches provided by Credit Reference Agencies (i.e. TransUnion, Equifax & Experian)
  • from data matching exercises conducted through the National Anti-Fraud Network
  • checking the register of electors

Who your information may be shared with

We sometimes need to share your information within the council or with other organisations. We will only share your information when necessary and when the law allows us to. We will only share the minimum information we need to. For Council Tax matters we may need to share your information with:

  • our Benefits Department to allow them to process and award claims or recover overpayments
  • your Councillor or MP (for example, if you have made a complaint to them about the council)
  • DWP to request deductions from certain benefits or to request additional information about you
  • Enforcement Agents, who are under contract with us, to recover unpaid Council Tax
  • other Local Authorities, as permitted under Regulation 4 of The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 (S.I.1992/613)
  • Policing Authorities for the prevention and detection of a crime
  • The Valuation Office Agency, to identify and value properties to be entered into the Council Tax list
  • The Valuation Tribunal Service, to determine appeals

We may also share your information with other individuals and organisations. For example, if the sharing would help with a safeguarding issue, or help prevent a crime. Sometimes, we share your information without your knowledge. We will never sell your information to anyone else.

By law we must give out some information if we are asked - for example by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or HM Revenue and Customs.

We are required by law to join in National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercises.

How long we keep your information

We will keep your information for as long as it is required by us or other regulatory bodies in order to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or for other operational reasons. 

We currently keep data for current taxpayers back to the start of Council Tax in 1993. This is because there has yet to be a revaluation of the current valuation bands so it is possible for an adjustment to be required back to 1993.

Protecting your information

Please see the Corporate Privacy Notice.

How you can access, update or correct your information

For Taxation we will approach you to review the data we hold. There is no set pattern but normally we will review aspects of the data we hold each year.

The Data Protection law gives you the right to apply for a copy of information about yourself. This is a 'Subject Access Request'. 

The accuracy of your information is important to us to be able to provide relevant services more quickly. 

Contact us if 

  • you change your address or email address, 
  • any of your circumstances change 
  • any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date.

Contact us

Council Tax
Civic Centre
Regent Street
NE8 1HH 
0191 433 3600

Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5pm
Friday 8.45am to 4.30pm