Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice, including details of the current lockdown rules and service updates
Toggle menu
Local offer header

Adult life (18-25 years)

If you are studying at a 6th form or college, the school or college should be able to provide you with information about opportunities available to you when you leave and provide you with support to access this provision. Preparing for adulthood provides more information about where you can get support to look for employment, training courses, work experience, higher education and apprenticeships in Gateshead.

Around this time, the support received from social services or health may change from a children's to an adult's social or health worker. Gateshead Council offers a range of services to young people with learning difficulties or disabilities aged 18-25 to assist with their care needs, although these are subject to a different assessment called an adult social care assessment. This could include help with the following:

  • Everyday tasks in the home
  • Support to access day services including day centres
  • Help finding employment and volunteering opportunities
  • Assistance with concessionary travel
  • Assistance and support with personal budgets and direct payments
  • Applying for and providing short breaks (this used to be called respite)
  • Help finding suitable housing and accommodation
  • Arranging adaptations in the home
  • Help supplying relevant equipment and aids
  • Arranging fun and social activities to get involved in

More information about the support available for adults living in Gateshead with a disability can be found by viewing our Adult social care, emailing or phoning 0191 433 7033.

Health needs and the transition to adult health services will continue to be assessed and planned as part of the EHC Planning process. Some young people may be eligible to receive Continuing Healthcare if they have a 'primary health need' and have a complex medical condition and substantial ongoing care needs. This means they could receive NHS funding to cover accommodation, personal care and healthcare costs, which would be written into their EHC Plan.  

More information

Gateshead Council's Family Information Directory 

The directory includes a Local Offer section with information about the advice, support and services available for young people with SEN or a disability and their parents/carers. 

Local and national organisations that provide help and support can be found in the following booklets. You can also search

Icon for pdf Voluntary and community organisations booklet [597.65KB]

Financial advice and support

Contact a Family have produced a useful booklet about financial advice and support that may be available to you if your child has a disability:

Icon for pdf Money Matters Booklet [479.48KB]

Contact us

Special Educational Needs and Disability Team
Gateshead Council

Facebook Follow us on Facebook

For further help and information visit the Learning Disability Matters website

Was this page useful?