Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice, including details of the current lockdown rules and service updates
Local offer header

Raising a concern

We hope that you find the services you or your child receives are of excellent quality and well suited to your needs.

Occasionally, something may have gone wrong, you may not agree with something and you want to discuss this with someone or make a complaint.

The links below explain what you can do if you have a concern or would like to make a complaint about education, health or social care services.

Raise a concern about an Education, Health and Care plan

Tell us your views about a Social Care service

How to complain about the NHS

Report concerns about a child

If you are worried about a child's safety or welfare in Gateshead you should talk to someone immediately. You can call the council in confidence on 0191 433 2410 (office hours) and 0191 433 0844 (out of hours). In an emergency phone the police 999. Children and young people with safety concerns can call Childline on 0800 1111 (free from landlines, charge from some mobile networks).

Concerns about voluntary or private organisations

If you have a concern or complaint about a service provided by a voluntary or private organisation in Gateshead you should follow their complaints procedure which you can find by contacting them direct.

Report a Hate Crime

If you have been a victim of hate crime because of your race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability please report it, 24 hour phone: 0191 433 2648.

Report Hate Crime

Bullying, cyber bullying and online safety

These websites provide information and advice about bullying, cyber bullying and staying safe online:

Think You Know - cyber bullying and online safety

Report inappropriate online behaviour via Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP)


Kidscape anti-bullying and safeguarding children

NHS Little Orange Book

The Little Orange Book contains tips and advice on how to manage common illnesses and problems that babies and young children often experience in the first five years of their lives. It also has more information on more serious conditions, what to look out for and how to get help if you are concerned.

Contact us

Special Educational Needs and Disability Team
Gateshead Council

Facebook Follow us on Facebook

For further help and information visit the Learning Disability Matters website

Share this page