Toggle menu

About building regulations

Building regulation approval is different to planning permission. 

  • Planning permission focuses on the appearance of the development within the local area. It looks to control inappropriate developments. 
  • Building regulations focuses on the safety of people in and around the building. The main aim is to ensure the safe construction and use of the building. 

Most building works will need an application for both planning permission and building regulations.

We will check that the building work meets the standards set by the regulations. We will provide advice for any work not meeting these standards. If the non-compliant work is not resolved, enforcement may result in court action.

If building work has been carried out without building regulations approval you may have problems when you come to sell the building. It may be difficult for future owners to insure or mortgage the property.

It is the responsibility of whoever commissions the building work to make sure it meets with building regulations. For example

  • if a homeowner wants to build an extension on their house, it is their responsibility to make sure the work complies, not the builder doing the work
  • if a shopkeeper who leases a shop wants to alter the shop layout, it is their responsibility to make sure the work complies, not the building owners or the builders

Visit the LABC (opens new window) website for more information about building regulations.

Building regulations approval is required if you are planning to build, alter or extend a building. Most building work will need an application, for example

  • extensions, no matter how small
  • all loft conversions
  • some alterations to a building 
  • structural alterations

Visit either the Planning Portal (opens new window) or the LABC (opens new window) website for a full list of works that need an application.

Some works do not require an application, for example

  • some small detached buildings
  • most conservatories and porches (rules apply)
  • some agricultural buildings
  • most repairs, replacements and maintenance work

The Planning Portal has a more comprehensive list. (opens new window)

Use the Planning Portal interactive property guides to help you find out if building regulations approval is needed for the work you want to do.

You may also need planning approval for proposed alterations and development.

View the interactive property guides (opens new window)

Other works can be self-regulated if carried out by a "competent person". This means that the contractor carrying out the work is competent enough in their field to self-certify the work. To do this they must be signed up to a self-certification scheme. Visit the Planning Portal (opens new window) for more information.

The LABC (opens new window) has a website called Front Door which offers how-to guides for homeowners wanting to develop their home. There are tips on renovating and extending your current home, as well as a guide on creating your dream home from start to finish. There is information on planning and funding your project, and tips about employing builders. 

LABC's Front Door (opens new window)


Building Control Team

Team Member 

Angus PinderPrincipal Building 644 2927Principal Surveyor
Martin Graham Enforcement Enforcement Officer 
Paul Barrett Senior Building 644 2930Plan Vetting Team 
Ian ThorogoodSenior Building 502 1971Site Inspection Team
Stephen StewardBuilding 644 2926Site Inspection Team
Lloyd SimpsonBuilding Surveyor 051 6206Site Inspection Team