Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice
Toggle menu

Domestic abuse

    Are you in immediate danger?

    If you, or someone you know, are in immediate danger, call 999 straight away and ask for the police. If it is not safe for you to speak the police can still help you by using their 'Silent Solution'. Simply stay silent and press 55 when prompted. 

    Look out for the 'Ask for ANI' logo on display at some pharmacies as they can help you. They can provide a private space, a phone and ask you if you need support from the police or local services.

    For non-emergencies, you can call Northumbria Police on 101.

    Help and support

    Need to talk? For advice and support, please contact our Domestic Abuse 24 hour helpline on 0191 433 3333.

    You can also get lots of information from many national organisations. See below.

    Exit site

    Types of abuse

    Anyone can be affected by domestic abuse and it's important to understand the different kinds of abuse. Domestic abuse can include, but is not limited to, the following:

    • coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual abuse)
    • psychological and/or emotional abuse
    • physical or sexual abuse
    • financial abuse
    • harassment and stalking
    • online or digital abuse
    • honour based abuse
    • economic abuse

    If you're worried about any of the above or would like to find out more about a situation, you or someone you know is in, then ring our helpline on 0191 433 333 or contact any of the organisations listed below.

    Worried about a child

    If you're worried about a child, even if you're unsure, contact our children's services, in confidence. 

    In an emergency always call 999.

    Worried about a vulnerable adult

    If you think someone is at risk of abuse, neglect or domestic violence, you need to report it.

    In an emergency always call 999.

    Are you 18 or under?

    Whatever your worry, you can get confidential advice and support whenever you need help from:
    Childline - 0800 11 11
    NSPCC - 0808 800 5000

    Clare's Law

    The Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme is often called 'Clare's Law' after the landmark case that led to it. Clare's Law gives any member of the public the right to ask the police if their partner may pose a risk to them. Under Clare's Law, a member of the public can also make enquiries into the partner of a close friend or family member.

    To make an application you will need to attend a police station in person where a police officer or member of police staff will take the details of what prompted your enquiry. A safe means of contacting you will be established. You will need to give your name, address and date of birth.

    Other organisations providing help

    Codeword scheme - Ask for ANI If you are experiencing domestic abuse and need immediate help, ask for 'ANI' in a participating pharmacy. national Domestic Abuse helpline, freephone 24 hour helpline 0808 2000 247

    LGBT+ Domestic Abuse helpline 0800 999 5428,

    Men's Advice Line - for male victims and those supporting them, 0808 801 0327,

    Mankind Initiative male victims of domestic abuse can get confidential help, 0182 333 4244

    Karma Nirvana- UK helpline for 'honour'-based abuse, forced marriage and domestic abuse, 0800 5999 247,

    Respect helpline, for anyone worried about their own behaviour, 0808 802 0321

    Crimestoppers, if you see or hear domestic abuse or need support

    Women's Aid  information and support for women, a live chat service is available

    Victim Support 24 hour support line, 0808 168 911

    If you are worried about who would look after your dog The Dogs Trust may be able help. Call 0207 837 0006 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

    Visit GOV.UK for more advice and links to a wider range of support groups.

    Visit Northumbria Police to find out about services available across the region.

    Referral form for professionals 

    If you are a professional or from an organisation and want to make a referral, complete the Icon for word referral form [368.58KB] 

    Read our Children's Social Care and Early Help Services, Domestic Abuse privacy notice.

    Contact us

    Domestic Abuse Team
    Gateshead Council
    Civic Centre
    Regent Street
    NE8 1HH

    0191 433 3333
    24 hour helpline