Gateshead Central Library
Due to the relaxing of Covid-19 restrictions, our libraries are open again for the selection of books and computer use. Our Ring and Read service will still operate and fines for late return of items will not be charged.
From Monday 19 July, we politely ask all customers visiting any library across Gateshead to
- Wear a face covering, particularly when moving around the library
- Maintain a safe distance from other library users and staff, where possible
- Sanitise your hands on entry using either the sanitising stations available, or your own sanitising product. We'll be continuing with our enhanced cleaning regime
- Check-in with NHS Track and Trace using any of the QR codes displayed at each library
- Sanitise computers before and after use using the wipes provided. Access to computers will continue to be limited, so pre-booking is strongly encouraged
- Respect our staff at all times. They are working hard to deliver your library service in a way that's safe for everyone
- Remain cautious. If you have coronavirus symptoms, please don't visit our libraries. Arrange a test and stay at home.
0191 433 8410 (Books)
0191 433 8420 (Events, Gift Shop and Computer Bookings)
0191 433 8430 (Gateshead Archive: Local and Family History and Computer Bookings)
0191 433 8440 (Sound Gallery: CDs and DVDs)
|Monday||9.30am to 5pm|
|Tuesday||9.30am to 5pm|
|Wednesday||9.30am to 5pm|
|Thursday||9.30am to 5pm|
|Friday||9.30am to 5pm|
|Saturday||9.30am to 1pm|
- a large selection of books for all ages
- books in large print
- daily newspapers and magazines
- quiet study area
- community garden
- a brilliant collection of CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays from the Sound Gallery, the largest audiovisual library in the north east.
- Gateshead Archive, a local history collection with over 40,000 items including maps, photographs, books and manuscripts
- children's library
- young adult library
- art gallery
- gift shop
- Bewicks coffee shop (Apologies: now closed due to a staff shortage)
Computers and digital facilities
All our libraries have PCs for library members aged eight years and over and it's free to use our computers. Due to social distancing the number of computers available has been reduced, so we recommend you book a session in advance by telephoning 0191 433 8420. Services include:
- computers with internet access and Microsoft Office
- printing (a small charge applies), photocopying and scanning
- microbits for loan
- free access to our online resources
We also run training courses and taster sessions for people who want support with PCs or the Internet. Visit our life skills section.
Find out more about our .
- baby change
- Council information
- hearing aid batteries
- planning application maps (this service carries a charge)
- room hire
- tourist information
Regular activities (currently suspended)
- ABC 1 2 3 group
- Animé Club
- Art Diamonds
- Bookstart books, bumps and babies
- Busy Bees gardening club for children
- Chess Club
- Film club
- Friends group
- Knit and natter
- Readers groups for all ages
- Reading Hack
- Scribblers writing group
- Youth Theatre group
- Yu-Gi-Oh card club
Visit our for more information
Books for health and wellbeing
Reading has been proven to help reduce stress, and we have some great mood busting books, reading well collections, and creative and social reading activities for all ages. Find out more on our health and wellbeing pages.
- access for wheelchair users
- automatic doors
- lift to library
- accessible toilet
We are autism friendly. Visit our autism friendly page to find out more.
How to find us
Q1 bus goes from outside the building to Gateshead Interchange
Q2 bus comes from Gateshead Interchange or on to Heworth. Bus stop is near Shipley Art Gallery.
Number 21 bus travels regularly from Durham Road nearby to Gateshead and Newcastle or to Low Fell
Parking: Apologies, but our main car park is not currently in use. An alternative car park nearby on St Alban's Terrace provides free parking for up to 3 hours.