Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice, including details of the local restrictions.

Returning home from a hospital stay

If you or someone you care for is unable to look after themselves when they leave hospital, help and support is available.

Before you leave hospital, health professionals and council social care workers will discuss any further treatment and discharge appointments that you will need. They will also discuss support available to help you at home. If you have any concerns please inform the ward manager or contact Care, Wellbeing and Learning at the hospital on 0191 445 2200.

If it is identified that help with personal care is needed, then with consent a member of the nursing team will contact the council and ask for an assessment of your needs for adult social care. he assessment looks at how you manage daily tasks, whether it is safe to go home, and what support the carers need. This may include a visit to your home. 

Options to help people live independently at home include:

  • PRIME (People Regaining Independence by Means of Enablement) to help regain daily living skills
  • alternative housing which may include sheltered accommodation
  • and physical changes that can be made to the home, such as
    • handrails
    • building ramps or
    • loaning equipment including bath seats, commodes and chair raisers.

There are also home care options from voluntary agencies and nursing services which may be considered.

If you are assessed as needing services from Gateshead Council, we will need to gather information about your financial circumstances to find out whether you have to pay anything towards these services.

If you have left hospital and feel you need some support, contact Adult Social Care Direct.

Contact Adult Social Care

There are many ways to contact the adult social care team, both online and over the phone.

We encourage people who can contact us online to do so, as it helps to free up phone lines for emergencies or for those who don't have access to or the skills to use computers.

Contact Adult Social Care

Share this page