Secondary school admissions September 2024
Please read the admissions information booklet before you apply to help you understand the admissions process and make an informed choice.
The secondary school application system closed on 31 October 2023.
If you need to apply for a secondary school place for September 2024 and your child's date of birth is between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013, please submit a late application form.
Make sure you look at the 'Admission to Secondary School' booklet which contains essential information that will help you in making your child's application, including:
- admission policies and oversubscription criteria for Gateshead schools
- information on how places are offered
- the number of applications received and the number of places offered for previous years
- we recommend you apply to 3 schools. Applying for only 1 school does not improve you chances of gaining a place at this school
- you cannot apply to Emmanuel College using the Council's application system.
- if you rank a school outside Gateshead as one or more of your preferences you must look at the admission policy for that school before submitting your application
- you must apply by 31 October 2023
Admission age ranges September 2024
If your child was born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013. Your child is due to start year 7 at secondary school in September 2024.
Secondary admissions timeline
|8 September 2023||Online system opens for parents to apply|
|31 October 2023||Closing date for submitting applications|
|1 March 2024||Offer letters and emails sent to parents|
|2 April 2024||Any places that become available will be offered from the schools waiting list|
|June 2024||Appeals heard|
For common issues and questions about admissions see the information section of our admissions guide.
Ofsted are changing the way they inspect and report on schools. Find out about the Education Inspection Framework and how the changes might effect you as a parent/guardian.
Education Support Service
The School Admissions Team
0191 433 2757 / 0191 433 2756