Secondary school admissions
Secondary school admissions 2022
You can apply online for your child's secondary school place between Friday 10 September and Sunday 31 October 2021.
Make sure you look at thebefore you apply. You may want to arrange a visit to the school you are interested in applying to before submitting your application.
- we recommend you apply to three schools - applying for only one school does not improve your chance of being offered a place at the school
- check all the details you enter on your form are correct, including the details of any older siblings your child may have, already attending the school you apply to.
- you must complete the 'Faith details' section of the form if you apply to a Catholic school
- we cannot guarantee your child a place at any school you apply to, even if you live in the catchment area or have a sibling already at the school, as this will depend upon the number of applications the school receives
- if any of your preferences is for a school outside Gateshead, please ensure you read their admission policy and arrangements before you apply
- you must submit your application by 31 October 2021
Secondary School open evenings
If you wish to attend an open evening for one of the below schools you are advised to check the date and time with the school directly or on their website.
- Cardinal Hume Catholic School
- Grace College
- Heworth Grange School
- Lord Lawson of Beamish Academy
- St Thomas More Catholic School
- Thorp Academy
- Whickham School School and Sports College
- XP Gateshead (find out more XP Gateshead how to apply for a place)
Kingsmeadow Community Comprehensive School open evening will take place on Tuesday 21 September 2021 at 5.30pm. However you are advised to check with the school before your visit to ensure the date and time has not changed.
Admission age ranges September 2022
If your child was born between 1 September 2010 and 31 August 2011. Your child is due to start year 7 at secondary school in September 2022.
You can apply online for a secondary school place from 10 September 2021 to 31 October 2021.
Secondary admissions timeline
|10 September 2021||Online system opens for parents to apply|
|31 October 2021||Closing date for submitting applications|
|1 March 2022||Offer letters and emails sent to parents|
|14 March 2022||Parents must accept places by this date|
|1 April 2022||Any places that become available will be offered from the schools waiting list|
|May/June 2022||Appeals heard|
For more information, view our questions about the secondary admissions process.
Ofsted are changing the way they inspect and report on schools. Find out about the Education Inspection Framework and how the changes might effect you as a parent/guardian.
The School Admissions Team
0191 433 2757 / 0191 433 2756