- Before you apply
- School admission arrangements
- Primary school admissions
- How we offer places
- Nursery admissions
- In-year transfers
- Admissions in neighbouring authorities
- Explanation of terms
- Appealing against admission decisions
- School admissions contacts
- School catchment areas
- Applications for University Technical Colleges (UTCs)
Secondary school admissions
The closing date for secondary applications was 31 October 2020, and the online application system has now closed. If you have not applied and would like to submit a late application please complete the application form [68.47KB] and return it to the address on the back of the form as soon as possible. Please include on the application form why your application is late.
Make sure you look at the Admission to secondary school booklet [395.0KB] before you apply. It contains essential information, including:
- admission policies
- the criteria that will be used if a school is oversubscribed
- information on how places are offered
- the number of applications received for previous years
- the number of places offered for previous years
- details of the last distance offered for oversubscribed schools
XP Gateshead is a new academy for Gateshead from the XP School Trust that follows the Expeditionary Learning model of their existing schools in Doncaster.
XP Gateshead are now taking details from parents that are interested in applying for a Year 7 place for their child in September 2021.
More details can be found on their website at https://xpgateshead.org/admissions-sep-2021/
- we recommend you apply to three schools. Applying for only one school does not improve your chance of being offered a place at the school
- check all the details you enter on your form are correct, including the details of any older siblings your child may have, already attending the school you apply to.
- you must complete the 'Faith details' section of the form if you apply to a Catholic school
- we cannot guarantee your child a place at any school you apply to, even if you live in the catchment area or have a sibling already at the school, as this will depend upon the number of applications the school receives
- If any of your preferences is for a school outside Gateshead, please ensure you read their admission policy and arrangements before you apply
- you must submit your application by 31 October 2020
Secondary School Open Evenings
Under normal circumstances, Head Teachers would arrange an open evening and invite parents to visit their schools before submitting an application for a year 7 place in September 2021. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, it is uncertain if open evenings will go ahead. However, all secondary schools have made arrangements for parents to access as much information as possible on their web sites. This may include virtual tours of schools lead by key school staff students will meet in Year 7, should their application be successful.
Parents should check individual school web sites for up to date information on parents evenings from September 2020.
Admission age ranges September 2021
If your child was born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010. Your child is due to start year 7 at secondary school in September 2021.
You can apply online for a secondary school place from 11 September 2020 to 31 October 2020.
Secondary admissions timeline
|11 September 2020||Online system opens for parents to apply|
|31 October 2020||Closing date for submitting applications|
|1 March 2021||Offer letters and emails sent to parents|
|12 March 2021||Parents must accept places by this date|
|22 March 2021||Any places that become available will be offered from the schools waiting list|
|May/June 2021||Appeals heard|
For more information, view our questions about the secondary admissions process.
Ofsted are changing the way they inspect and report on schools. Find out about the Education Inspection Framework and how the changes might effect you as a parent/guardian.
The School Admissions Team
0191 433 2757 / 0191 433 2756