Winter weather and snow
Information for when schools need to close due to winter weather and snow.
Information for when services are disrupted by winter weather and snow.
Details of gritting in Gateshead including our gritting route map.
In winter weather it's important to plan your journey. When road conditions are bad only travel when absolutely necessary. Always:
- Check your car is ready for winter - tyres correctly inflated, use screen wash suitable for low temperatures and have enough fuel for your journey.
- Have an emergency kit in your car - make sure your mobile phone is fully charged, take a spade, blanket, food and drink.
- Drive carefully and allow extra time for your journey - steer, brake and accelerate more gently than normal and leave bigger gaps between you and the car in front.
- To help gritters, snow ploughs, refuse trucks and emergency vehicles access your street please try and park your car so that it doesn't block the road.
- North East traffic cams display regular images of traffic and weather conditions across the borough.
- The Urban Traffic Management Control Centre (UTMC) provides information such as road closures, roadworks and CCTV camera views. You can also follow them on Twitter.
- Highways England provide the latest traffic information.
In severe weather it is often advisable to travel by bus or Metro rather than your own car. Local transport operators will do all they can to provide the best possible service during winter.
- Check with Nexus for the latest updates 24 hours a day for Metro and bus services from all operators.
- Visit the Traveline website or phone 0871 200 22 33 for information on public transport timetables and service disruptions.
- Visit the Go North East website or follow them on Twitter and Facebook .
- Visit the Stagecoach website .
- Visit the Arriva Bus website or follow them on Twitter and Facebook .
Local train information, including real time updates, can be found at Northern Rail .
Visit the Newcastle Airport website for updates on arrivals and departures.
Looking after yourself and others
- 999 - Always call this number in an emergency endangering human life.
- 101 - Call this number to report non emergency incidents.
- NHS website or phone 111 if you are worried about health issues
- Met Office website for weather updates and information.
- Protecting your home advice from the Met Office
- Staying warm and healthy in winter advice from the NHS website
- Cold weather payment information from Gov.uk
- National cold weather plan from Gov.uk
- NHS advice on staying well during the winter months
- Directory of Warm Spaces in Gateshead
There's no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your home or from public spaces. It's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries on the path if you have cleared it carefully. Remember, people walking on snow and ice have a responsibility to be careful themselves.
0191 433 3000
24 hour emergency number 0191 477 0844