Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice, including details of the current national lockdown and service updates

Skip permit

To put a builder's skip on a public road, you need a licence (or permit as it is sometimes called) from us. You don't need a licence from us to put a skip on your own land, for example a driveway.

Eligibility criteria

To apply you need Public Liability Insurance to the value of £5 million per claim. A copy of your Public Liability Insurance certificate should be included with the application. If you use one of the companies within the councils membership scheme we will already hold a copy of their insurance details (renewed annually).

Membership scheme

Many skip companies have registered with the council to be part of a scheme where they have evidenced their liability insurance and also agreed and understood the application process operated by Gateshead Council.

If you are using an alternative company who are not part of the membership scheme then the application fees are more expensive, and your application will need to be supported by their public liability insurance to be valid.

We strongly recommend you check out the credentials of the company you are using before hiring a skip. The council will actively enforce against illegally placed skips and use its enforcement powers to clamp down on other practices such as the use of transit vans.

Regulation summary

The regulations as to the requirement for a license/permit are in the Highways Act 1980.

Application evaluation process

A check as to acceptability will either have to be made on our map based system or a site visit may be required to assess whether it is safe to place a skip in a particular location.

Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following: siting of the skip, skip dimensions, making skips visible to traffic, care and disposal of skip contents, lighting and guarding of skips, and skip removal.

Applications from homeowners and landowners will be accepted provided that the skip owner is clearly identified and the skip owner indemnifies Gateshead Council and meets with its insurance requirements (see eligibility criteria).

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. A skip located on the highway without first being granted a license/permit and complying with any conditions of the license will be unauthorised and liable to enforcement action and/or additional fees.

If you put a skip on the highway before receiving written approval it is at your own risk.

Submission of a form and payment does not mean permission has been granted and no skips may be put on the highway without a licence/permit being granted first. If you put a skip on the highway immediately after making the application but before receiving approval the council are unlikely to take enforcement action until the application has been considered and only then if the application is refused. 

If you have already placed a skip on the highway and are applying retrospectively you will need to use a separate form. 

If it is clear that the location of a skip is an immediate danger prior to the application being determined the council are likely to take enforcement action.

To aid your application and the likelihood of a successful application a Guide to Skips is available which should reduce the number of unacceptable skip applications and locations.

Icon for pdf Skip advice guide [179.92KB]

What are the fees to apply?

The fees for a skip permit/license have been updated to reflect the membership scheme and the different customer circumstances as available notice that can be given for a skip.

Icon for pdf Skip permits fees and charges [14.48KB]

Apply by email

You can make your application by emailing the completed form to

Apply by post

Postal applications must be completed by the owner of the skip and returned to the council at:

Building Control
Development and Public Protection
Development and Enterprise
Regent Street
Tyne and Wear

We can still accept payment by cheque, but due to the limited access to the civic centre this may delay your application. Make the cheque payable to 'Gateshead Council', unless you are making an application as a skip company which has been approved for a monthly account as part of the membership scheme.

What if my application is refused?

Please contact us.

Customer complaint against skip company

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the company by you preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, please contact Trading Standards on 0191 433 7007.


Trade associations

Builders Merchants Federation (BMF)

National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC)

National Federation of Builders (NFB)

Contact us

Development and Public Protection
Building Control
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3144

Share this page