Living and working in Gateshead
Thank you for your interest in joining us at Gateshead.
It's been said we are one of the most entrepreneurial, forward thinking and ambitious councils in the country. And we believe our employees reflect that spirit and drive that is needed to make a real difference to the people of Gateshead, helping them to thrive and improving their lives for the better.
When you work for us, you are working for a council that, even in these challenging times, is ambitious and not afraid of taking risks - a trait that has established our reputation as a council whose actions speak louder than words.
We value our employees and respect the skills and knowledge they bring. We strive to create a friendly and supportive environment where views are listened to and 'thinking out of the box' is encouraged.
As a council we are aware that people have commitments and pressures outside of work - we offer support and encourage employees to have a good work / life balance. We are one of a small number of North East employers to have achieved four years of the Continuing Excellence level of the North East Better Health at Work Award.
If you are successful in your application to work for us, you will be joining a team that is welcoming, supportive and friendly, as well as one that puts its residents first and achieves results.
A bit about Gateshead
If you've never visited before or are looking to move here from another area here are some things you need to know.
- you must know we're home to the iconic Metrocentre, Angel of the North, Gateshead Millennium Bridge, Sage Gateshead and BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art - they don't come much better than them
- we're quite rural - over 60% of the borough is countryside with 20 nature reserves and country parks and an award winning parks
- getting here is easy, with one of the busiest transport hubs in the region and an international airport only 20 minutes away
- our indoor shopping centre intu Metrocentre offers leisure and shopping for everyone
- we are one of the safest places to live in the country
- education is amongst the best in the country with 87% schools and academies rated 'Good' or 'Outstanding', and Gateshead College is ranked second best performing college in the country.
- Gateshead is Labour controlled and run by a cabinet system organisational structure