We can offer groups of people from organisations, businesses, schools, and colleges the chance to 'do their bit' for the local community with our tailor made volunteer packages. Working with your group, we can match you with an organisation that needs volunteers - creating a bespoke package that will meet both your expectations and the needs of the community. From a one-day, one-off project to something more long term - we can discuss the options with you.
A group of people could include
- organisations, large or small
- classes or groups from schools, colleges or universities
- support groups such as walking groups
- voluntary and community groups
- or just a group of friends who want to 'make a difference'
Volunteering as a group in Gateshead
Groups of volunteers (anything from 2 or more people coming together) can be provided with a volunteer project. Group opportunities tend to be on a shorter term period, usually over one day and involve a group of volunteers working together to complete a task. Types of group activities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- litter picking at various locations
- painting of communal facilities such as communal lounges
- helping out at lunch groups - this would involve serving, chatting to service users, clearing away and playing board games and other social activities
- helping community groups with the development of their website or social media accounts or other technical support that you can provide
- helping groups by looking over their books and other organisational type support
- gardening projects at a variety of venues throughout Gateshead including schools, community centres, sheltered accommodation schemes, and other community facilities
- helping on task days within our open spaces such as parks - for example Chopwell Park, Felling Park, Saltwell Park, Watergate Park, Wardley Park - these projects can also include environmental cleaning down by the River Tyne and so on
- helping out at group events such as groups sessions, for example carers of elderly people, keeping service users company, chatting and listening to them.
- helping out at the various foodbanks across Gateshead, preparing the donations that come in, and sorting through them all as well as preparing packages to be sent out
- helping out at local charity shops with the general customer services or helping to do window decoration and sorting through donations
- general tasks and activities associated with the day to day running of community groups, for example helping a group get their books up to date, demonstrating how Microsoft office can be used, setting up a groups email account and explaining how to maintain emails
- getting involved and supporting large events such as the which Gateshead Council will be hosting from 13 to 24 August 2019 - there will be opportunities to get involved as one-off teams for a day or the full week of activities
Under each of these categories there are a number of different projects. Once we are aware of the type of volunteering needed we will be able to work with groups and match them to the most suitable group.
Group volunteering can help to develop volunteers' confidence and act as a taster session before people go on to volunteer as an individual. If there are any people that your group support who may benefit from volunteering together they can request a Group Expression of Interest form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
With each group request it is asked for a donation to be made to the community project. This is desirable rather than essential however it does demonstrate a commitment to the day and enables the group to purchase necessary equipment to make the day possible in some cases. If a financial contribution is possible this will be direct to the community group. This can either be cash or by providing specific equipment for the group in advance of the project.
Neighbourhood Management and Volunteering can support groups of volunteers by
- identifying a list of potential projects for them to choose from
- arranging a visit to the site
- arranging the volunteer day date and times
- helping to identify equipment where possible
- attending the volunteer day if needed
- helping to organise the removal of rubbish etc. if needed
- providing risk assessments for each of the tasks that will be delivered
- providing a write up of the event to be included on our website
Registering a group project in Gateshead
There are a number of projects waiting to be matched to the most appropriate group of volunteers across Gateshead. If your group, organisation or project would like to register an opportunity with us please email email@example.com and we will supply you with the information you need.
All that is needed initially is some basic information about the potential project including its location, and what equipment would be used. The majority of group requests are from corporate organisations. As these volunteers are representing their own organisation while volunteering (and not acting in their own right) they will be covered through their organisation's public liability insurance.
Each different project is tailored to support both the organisation hosting the project and the organisation providing the volunteers.
As well as providing volunteers to deliver a specific set of tasks, some organisations are also able to provide a financial contribution for the volunteer day. Where any financial investment is provided it will be given directly to the group hosting the volunteers. This is not a necessity of group volunteering.
View our case studies page to read about some group volunteering activities that have taken place in Gateshead recently.
How to volunteer
The first step in the volunteer process is to complete the expression of interest, regardless of the type of volunteering opportunity you are interested in.
Culture, Communities and Volunteering