- Find childcare
- Gateshead Children's Centres
- Family Information Service and directory
- Free early education and childcare
- Toy Library
- Information for early years childcare professionals
- Concerns about a childcare provider
- Flexible working
- Gateshead breastfeeding support
- Gateshead's Local Offer (special educational needs)
Information for childminders
Become a registered childminder in Gateshead
To become a registered childminder you must be:
- over 18 years old.
- self-employed working from your own home.
- providing care, play and learning opportunities to children
- providing care for more than two hours per day.
We offer childminder briefing sessions twice per year to prospective childminders living in Gateshead. These briefings are free to attend. They aim to provide you with knowledge into the role and responsibilities of becoming a childminder.
Childminder briefing sessions will be held on:
- Tuesday 11 June 2019, 6.15 to 8.45pm
- Tuesday 28 January 2020, 6.15 to 8.45pm
For more information or to book a place, please contact Family Information Service email@example.com
We will email confirmations along with relevant documents and information
All childminders must work within the guidelines of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
Gov.uk explains how to register as a childminder or childcare provider.
HMRC offers free e-learning for childminders. 'Starting in Business' advises on the tax and National Insurance issues involved in starting your own business.
Safer Food Better Business for Childminders
Safer food, better business is the Food Standards Agency pack especially for childminders.
The pack gives simple advice on food safety including information about cooking for babies and children. Cleaning and looking after a child with a food allergy.
The Food Standards Agency provides more information about food safety.
Gateshead Council offer advice on food hygiene requirements.
Gateshead Family Information Service will contact you for further information when they are notified by Ofsted that you are registered.