Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice
Toggle menu

Starting a new food business

Setting up a new food business can be quite complex and daunting. We aim to help you get started and make your food as safe as possible. 

You need to register your food business with us free of charge if operating within Gateshead. If you would prefer an officer to visit then use the contact details at the bottom of the page. 

Unfortunately we can only provide a limited amount of time to give advice free of charge, to discuss your needs contact us using the information at the bottom of the page.

Enforcement officers have wide powers to inspect food premises at a frequency dependent upon risk. Frequency of inspection can vary from once every six months to once every two years.

Officers can require works to be carried out by food businesses or prohibit activities within premises. Officers also have the power to take samples for testing to help ensure compliance with food legislation.The courts can give large fines when we prosecute or even close a premise.

If your business supplies products of animal origin to other businesses you might need approval from us. If you think this might apply you should visit food business approval.

The Food Standards Agency has developed a pack called Safer food better business to help retailers and caterers to comply with the above requirements. 

If you require more advice you can access the Business and Industry section of the FSA website, including a free checklist. 

We prefer to provide advice and information to food businesses in the local area, to ensure that all food supplied is safe and we can help you to improve.

To discuss food issues with one of our Enforcement Officers use the contact details at the bottom of the page.

Further information is available for:

Contact us

Environmental Health
Housing, Environment and Healthy Communities

0191 433 3951

Help us improve this site by giving feedback