Report a fallen tree
Storm damage to trees
We are continuing to deal with tree damage from recent storms and it could take us longer than usual to respond to reports. All reports will be assessed, and urgent cases or dangerous trees will be dealt with as a priority.
We're responsible for the management and maintenance of trees on council land.
We will try to make sure all fallen trees or branches that pose a significant threat or are blocking access will either be removed, or works carried out so the risk is reduced to an acceptable level. This may include trees that have fallen as a result of things like storm damage.
We do not deal with fallen trees or branches that have fallen onto private land, unless we own the tree.
We will ask you for the following information when you report a fallen tree:
- the exact location of the tree
- if it is blocking any access
- if it has caused any damage
You can also upload a photo if you have one.
If it is an emergency, always call 999
Alternatively, you can call our customer service team on 0191 433 7000.
- If the tree has fallen on the A1 or A194 please contact Highways England on 0300 123 5000.
- If the tree is on a metro line, please contact Nexus on 0191 203 3666.
- If the tree is on a railway, please contact Network Rail on 03457 11 41 41.
If the tree has not yet fallen but looks like it could cause an issue if not dealt with, please use our report a potentially hazardous tree form.