Grove House equals a great place, great people, great times!
This video shows you what it is like at Grove House, who will look after the children, what activities we do and what the facilities are like.
Don't just read about us - listen to what the parents and carers think about us.
Grove House offers specialist overnight short break service for children aged from six to seventeen years of age who have physical and/or learning disabilities or autism.
Established in 1996, we are pleased to now be able to offer this Ofsted 'Outstanding' rated service to other local authorities in the North East region.
We are centrally located in the North East of England, in Gateshead, only five miles from the centre of Newcastle. This makes us ideally placed for families who need respite care and short breaks.
We believe that each child is unique and therefore aim to meet their individual needs to help them develop to their full potential.
Find out what we offer
Judged by Ofsted in November 2016 as "outstanding across all areas", we offer an exceptional level of care provided by highly trained and experienced staff. We care for children with a wide range of disabilities, including children with autism or complex health needs.
Our service focuses on the individual needs of the child right from the beginning. We gradually get to know children before they come to stay so they settle well. There are never more than six children staying with us, at any one time, so there is always someone to provide support.
Grove House is a large detached house set in its own grounds with lots of outdoor space: it really is a "home from home". We offer a comfortable and homely environment with a wide range of specialist equipment to cater for the needs of all children who stay with us.
- Six individually designed bedrooms, with call system to alert staff. Three with specialist tracking and hoist equipment and one with a "safe pod".
- Two modern bathrooms - fully equipped to meet the needs of all children
- Shower room and separate toilet facilities
- Spacious communal lounge - equipped with TV, games consoles, toys, books and more.
- Dining room
- Den for children to "chill out", enjoy craft activities or learn new skills
- Large sensory room with specialist equipment including a ball pool, light and sound features to relax in and explore
- Large garden with play equipment
Children and young people who can stay at Grove House
Grove House is for disabled children and young people across the North East region aged from six years old until they reach their eighteenth birthday that are assessed as "needing this service".
Caring for the children and young people
Everyone who stays with us has their own key worker who provides all the help children and young people need. Key workers ensure that a care plan is developed for every child/young person who comes to stay with us. These plans detail the child/young person's needs, abilities, medical requirements and likes and dislikes. Care plans are developed with the children/young people, their families/carers and health professionals to make sure that all needs are met and everyone is happy with the plan.
Cost to stay at Grove House
The cost of an overnight stay will depend upon the needs of the child/young person. Your child's social worker can go through the process with you and advise you about the arrangements and options to pay for the stay. Children and young people can stay with us for up to five nights per month.
Who to contact
- Parents or carers should speak to their child's social worker and ask to be assessed for this service. If the required criteria are met, the social worker will then begin the referral process. Parents/carers can also contact us for more information, or to arrange a visit.
- Social work or health care professionals who are interested in finding out more, visiting us or making a referral can contact us direct.
0191 433 6530