If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, you may be entitled to help from one of these organisations.
It's always worth contacting your energy supplier first as they may have support schemes available.
If your energy supplier is unable to help, contact Citizens Advice or call 0808 223 1133. They should be able to check what options you have and ensure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.
Local Energy Advice Partnership (LEAP)
LEAP offers a free energy and money saving service. which can:
- check if you are on the cheapest / best energy tariffs, and help you switch if there's a better deal out there
- provide free, simple energy saving measures which can save the average household £30 on their energy bills a year.
- give you day-to-day energy efficiency hints and tips to ensure your heating system is set up to keep you warm and save money.
- arrange a free advice service via Income Max to help with benefits, debt and other money problems.
- refer you for further energy efficiency improvements, such as loft insulation or a new boiler
Visit the Leap website to check if you are eligible for help or call 0800 060 7567.
Green Homes Grant
The Green Homes Grant enables householders to apply to the government for a voucher to cover two thirds of the cost of energy efficiency measures, up to a value of £5000. This includes insulation and renewable heating systems.
Residents who are in receipt of certain benefits can receive the full cost of the measures, up to £10,000.
AgeUK Gateshead have secured Warm Homes funding up to 31 March 2021 to offer fuel and energy support to over 65's in Gateshead and Newcastle.
This support includes:
- help to apply for Warm Home Discount
- general benefit checks
- tariff checks
- energy efficiency advice
- free energy saving measures, for example draft excluders, remote off switches, light bulbs
Due to Covid-19 home visits are suspended. All advice is telephone-based, call 0191 477 3559 and measures can be sent to householders for self-install where appropriate.
Northumbrian Water have a range of support schemes available to residents struggling to pay their bills.
- Water Direct
These schemes offer a range of support options, including changing the way bills are paid, offer of payment breaks, reduction in bills for water meter households, 50% off annual water bills for those in hardship, taking an agreed payment of arrears and current water charges from benefits payments.
An online benefit calculator is also available through a partnership with Policy in practice to check for other benefits a household may be eligible to claim.
Find out more on the Northumbrian Water website.