World Transplant Games 2019
17 to 23 August 2019
The World Transplant Games (WTG) are staged by the World Transplant Games Federation. Held over seven days, the Summer Games are held every two years in host cities around the world. This inspiring event is a celebration of a second chance of living life to the full, demonstrating the success of transplant surgery and raising public awareness of organ donation.
The Games will see around 3000 visitors from 70 countries come to NewcastleGateshead. Competitors aged from 4 to over 80 will all have had lifesaving organ or tissue transplants. There will be events for living donors and donor families, as well as a number of social and cultural events.
Sports will include archery, athletics, badminton, basketball, cycling, darts, football, golf, volleyball, petanque, squash, swimming, table tennis, ten-pin bowling and tennis.
Gateshead Council are managing the volunteer programme for the games. The type of roles will include:
- general event volunteers
- social event volunteers
- sport specific volunteers
- communications and branding volunteers
- registration volunteers
Volunteers will be:
- provided with training
- part of the volunteer team delivering and support the Games
- provided with refreshments/lunch when required
- provided with a t-shirt to wear whenever volunteering
- when not volunteering, offered an opportunity to be a spectator at the Games where possible
- able to develop a unique experience to enhance their own skills set
Applications to volunteer closed on 30 April 2019.