All housing authorities are required to understand their local housing market. Our aim is to balance the local housing market by encouraging the delivery of an appropriate mix of property and tenure types on all new housing developments. To deliver this the strategic housing team's objective is to:
- research the housing needs of the district
- provide a seamless service to developers, housing associations and other partners by ensuring a co-ordinated response from other council departments relating to affordable housing issues
- promote and encourage the provision of affordable housing
- balance the local housing market by encouraging a good mix of dwelling and tenure types through new housing provision
- Seek out best practice on affordable housing issues
Gateshead continues to have a reasonable demand for social rented and low-cost home ownership. With our own housing stock base in decline, due to the Right To Buy scheme, it has been increasingly important to have effective partnership with housing associations to meet these housing needs.
Housing Corporation National Approved Housing Programme Funding (NAHP)
We mainly rely upon housing associations to meet our identified housing needs, and grant funding provided to them by the Housing Corporation. We, therefore:
- work closely with the Housing Corporation to agree priorities, evaluate and prioritise scheme funding bids for NAHP
- meet regularly with partners. We meet informally on a quarterly basis to encourage open communication and effective partnership working. In addition we formally meet at the Housing Partnership Forum to engage, consult, inform and exchange ideas.
- continue to monitor the progress of individual housing associations housing schemes
- make council owned sites available and consider discounted disposals where appropriate
Housing Enabling Service
0191 433 3852