Reporting abuse - what happens next?

Once a report of suspected adult abuse or neglect comes in to us we will take steps to ensure the immediate safety of the person and anyone else who may be affected.

Collecting information

When we receive a report of suspected adult abuse we need to find out more about it. If the adult at risk is unable to speak for themselves they can chose someone to act on their behalf such as a friend or family member. If this isn't possible we can arrange for an independent person to do this. This person is called an advocate.

We will talk to the person, or a suitable representative on their behalf, to find out what is happening and work together to plan what we can do to help keep them safe and as independent as possible.

People involved

Where necessary we will investigate allegations of abuse with partner  organisations and take appropriate action. The Gateshead Safeguarding Adults Board is a group made up of lots of different people who represent organisations across Gateshead.  These are organisations such as the council, the police and health services. We will always do what we can to prevent abuse happening again.

We will keep everyone informed of the outcome and provide support where needed.


Sometimes a meeting is needed. The individual, or the person who acts on their behalf, may be invited to a meeting called a safeguarding planning meeting. During this meeting concerns will be discussed and the chairperson will make sure that everybody has their say.

We will make sure that everything that was agreed to be done is being done, and decide if any further action is needed. A safeguarding plan may be agreed to continue to keep the person safe.

Sometimes we will need to arrange further meetings to review the safeguarding plan and make changes if necessary to ensure the person continues to remain safe.

What if you don't want anything to happen?

If the abuse is happening to you, you have a right to say what you want to be done about it. You will always be asked what you want and who you want to be involved.

Sometimes there are other people who may also be in danger and the abuse is too serious for people to do nothing. Professionals have a duty of care to you and other people and may have to act against your wishes. You will always be told why this has to happen.

What if you're not happy?

If you're not happy about the safeguarding adults process we would like to know why. You can speak to the chairperson who was involved in your meetings, or you can contact your Safeguarding Adult Manager. If you don't know who that is contact Adult Social Care Direct using the details below. 


Contact us

For further information about adult social care in Gateshead contact
Adult Social Care Direct 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
0191 433 7033
Enquiry form

Share this page