Door step safety
How to stay safe when you have unexpected visitors
Remember to always:
- Use your door-chain or door-bar when answering the door and install a door viewer and an outside light.
- Ask to see the caller's identity card and check it thoroughly. If you feel unsure ask the caller to wait on the doorstep while you phone the company to check.
- Lock the door whilst you go and phone and don't open the door until you are totally convinced. Anyone who is genuine will not mind you doing this.
- Ask them to return at an agreed day and time when you have someone with you. Don't let callers put pressure on you to let them in.
- If in doubt - keep them out.
- If you are suspicious - ring the Police.
Avoid becoming a victim of telephone scams with Northumbria Police's Northumbria Police advice
Bogus workmen may try to carry out unnecessary repairs on your home and can be quite persistent and convincing. If a workman says you need repairs, tell them you will get some quotes for the work from other companies and get back to them.
- Always use a reputable company to carry out repairs or work on your property - Trading standards
- Never part with money - don't do business on the doorstep.
For further advice contact Trading Standards.
0191 433 3987