St Mary's Heritage Centre
St Mary's Heritage Centre closure
St Mary's Heritage Centre is closed to the public and regular user groups until further notice.
Staff are no longer on site so please do not call. If you have a private hire booking, for example a wedding, please contact the centre to discuss by emailing email@example.com. We will get back to you as soon as possible.
Things to see and do
St Mary's Heritage Centre is a unique visitor attraction. You are free to wander and take in the historic surroundings of our medieval, grade one-listed building, formerly the parish church for Gateshead.
Highlights of the building include:
- displays about the history of Gateshead from its early days as a Roman settlement to modern times
- family history records for St Mary's Heritage Centre. Local history resources including historic maps and images
- a heritage bookshop selling hundreds of local history books about Gateshead and the North East
- tea, coffee and soft drinks are available to purchase
A wide range of activities are offered regularly, including:
- local history talks, tours and workshops
- concerts and performances
- children's activities
You find out more about forthcoming events and book tickets at www.gateshead.gov.uk/whatson.
Access and parking
St Mary's Heritage Centre is approximately a 10 minute walk from Gateshead Transport Interchange.
Quaylink buses run up to every 10 minutes during the day and stop directly outside the gates of St Mary's Heritage Centre. You can find more details at the Simply Go website.
A small number of parking spaces are available for building users with further parking available at other sites nearby.
The car park and interior of the St Mary's Heritage Centre is fully accessible for wheelchairs, mobility scooters and pushchairs.
The graveyard is not fully accessible.
Disabled toilets and baby changing are available.