St Mary's Heritage Centre
Things to see and do
St Mary's Heritage Centre is a unique visitor attraction. You are free to wander and take in the historic surroundings of our medieval, grade one-listed building, formerly the parish church for Gateshead.
Highlights of the building include:
- displays about the history of Gateshead from its early days as a Roman settlement to modern times
- family history records for St Mary's Heritage Centre. Local history resources including historic maps and images
- a heritage bookshop selling hundreds of local history books about Gateshead and the North East
- tea, coffee and soft drinks are available to purchase
A wide range of activities are offered regularly, including:
- local history talks, tours and workshops
- concerts and performances
- children's activities
If you would like to book tickets for an event at St Mary's, please go to Gatesheadlibraries.eventbrite.com or call 0191 433 8420.
Access and parking
St Mary's Heritage Centre is approximately a 10 minute walk from Gateshead Transport Interchange.
Quaylink buses run up to every 10 minutes during the day and stop directly outside the gates of St Mary's Heritage Centre. You can find more details at the Go North East website.
A small number of parking spaces are available for building users with further parking available at other sites nearby.
The car park and interior of the St Mary's Heritage Centre is fully accessible for wheelchairs, mobility scooters and pushchairs.
The graveyard is not fully accessible.
Disabled toilets and baby changing are available.
Tuesday to Friday: 10am to 4pm
Friday 23 November: CLOSED
Saturday 24 November: CLOSED
Tuesday 27 December: CLOSED
Wednesday 28 December: CLOSED
Thursday 29 December: CLOSED
Friday 30 December: CLOSED
Saturday 31 December: CLOSED