Appeal a parking ticket

If you think your parking ticket (PCN) has been issued incorrectly, you can challenge it within the 14 day discount period.

You will need:

  • A parking ticket (PCN) number
  • The vehicle registration number
Appeal a parking ticket (PCN)

Other ways to challenge

You can write to us with details of your penalty charge notice number, vehicle registration and the reason why you think your ticket has been issued incorrectly. If your informal challenge is unsuccessful, we may extend the discounted period for payment for a short time.

Write to: Parking Services, Gateshead Council, Civic Centre, Gateshead NE8 1HH.

When we receive your challenge your case will be placed on hold. We will normally respond within 20 working days, although this may take longer in certain circumstances (such as if require further information).

If your challenge is accepted you won't have to pay anything. If we reject the challenge, we'll write to you explaining why and tell you how to pay or how to follow the formal appeals process.

Notice to owner

If you do not pay your fine or make an informal challenge within 28 days of receiving your penalty charge notice a Notice to Owner will be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Do not ignore this notice: either make a formal challenge or pay the outstanding charge.

Your formal challenge will be considered by someone who would not have been involved in consideration of any previous informal challenge relating to your Penalty Charge Notice.

We will write back to you with our decision. If we decide not to cancel your parking ticket, we will send you a letter explaining why, called a Notice of Rejection. You will be given the opportunity to pay the full charge of £50 or £70 (depending on the offence).

We will also explain how you can appeal to the independent Parking Adjudicator and will send you a form (called a Notice of Appeal) on which you can make your appeal.

If we reject your formal challenge and you still wish to dispute the PCN, you can appeal to the Independent Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT). Details of how to do this are also printed on the rejection letter sent out to you.

Contact us

Parking Services
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Phone: 0191 433 3155

Share this page