What to expect from the youth exchange
The programme covers two years and involves a visit to Gateshead by students from Komatsu City in the first year and a visit by Gateshead students in the second year.
What to expect during the visit to Gateshead:
- All students participating will be given a partner student from Komatsu City. They will host them in their homes for the majority of the visit.
- Hosting a student is a whole family activity and everyone involved needs to fully understand the commitment of taking part.
- Families will be expected to look after the student in their home, provide activities on some evenings and weekends and also provide travel to and from all events for the full duration of the visit.
- There will be a number of activities the students from Komatsu City will take part in from greeting the Mayor of Gateshead to visiting schools. These will generally just be the Komatsu students.
- There will be a number of activities that will include both Gateshead and Komatsu City students.
- Komatsu City students will perform a farewell evening performance for their host families.
What to expect during the visit to Komatsu City:
- There will be a number of preparation meetings in the lead up to the visit as well as fundraising activities and planning for the group performance in Komatsu City.
- The group will fly from Newcastle to Komatsu City and will spend an evening in a hotel before they go to stay with their host families. Gateshead students will stay with the family of the student they hosted in Gateshead.
- They will meet the Mayor of Komatsu City and visit schools and undertake a range of cultural and educational experiences.
- The group will usually have the opportunity to visit another area of historical interest as well as trying on traditional Japanese clothing and taking part in a traditional tea ceremony.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Japan as a young ambassador for Gateshead.
Corporate Services and Governance
0191 433 2146