Pet shop licence
A person keeping a pet shop in Gateshead must be licensed by Gateshead Council. The conditions of the licence relate to the standards of accommodation and the welfare of the animals. Conditions are monitored by routine inspection and response for requests for service such as complaints.
How to Apply
To apply for a Pet Shop Licence, applicants must complete and submit an application form accompanied by the appropriate fee.
An Animal Health Officer from the Council will visit the premises to ensure that it complies with the above. In certain circumstances a veterinary inspection may also be undertaken.
The Licence will be issued subject to compliance with the Licence conditions and payment of the Licence fee.
The current cost of a license is £105 (plus the cost of a veterinary inspection if required)
There is an application fee payable upon application and subject to annual renewal. However, should we require the expertise of an animal specialist this may incur further costs at your expense before a Licence is issued.
How long does the Licence last?
A Licence shall according to the applicants requirements relate to the year in which it is granted or to the next following year. A Licence year operates from 1 January to the 31 December; however you can apply at any time during that period. Licences must be renewed prior to their expiry if the premises are to continue as a pet shop.
What Conditions will be attached to a Licence?
After gaining a Licence you will need to follow a set of conditions that relate to record keeping, permitted number of animals and densities, disease prevention and control and accommodation.
Please be aware that the Council can also impose additional conditions for individual premises where appropriate.
Records Required to be Kept
A livestock purchase and sales register must be maintained in accordance with the above conditions. The register should be available for inspection by an authorised officer of the council or an authorised Veterinary Surgeon/practitioner.
Your application for a Licence will need to consider whether planning permission is required for the proposed licensed activity.You should contact the Planning Authority on 0191 4333150 to discuss whether permission will be needed. Your application for a Licence will not be processed until the planning issue has been decided.
Offences and Penalties
The following offences and penalties apply to pet shops:
- anybody found guilty of keeping a pet shop without a Licence may be subject to a fine not exceeding level 2 (£500) or to three months imprisonment or both;
- anybody found guilty of failing to comply with the conditions of their Licence may be subject to a fine not exceeding level 2
- anybody found guilty of carrying on a business of selling animals as pets in any part of a street or public place, or at a stall or barrow in a market, shall be guilty of an offence, subject to a fine not exceeding level 2 (£500) or to three months imprisonment or both;
- anybody found guilty of selling an animal as a pet to a person whom he has reasonable cause to believe to be under the age of sixteen years, shall be guilty of an offence not exceeding level 2 (£500) or to three months imprisonment or both;
- anybody found guilty of obstructing or delaying an inspector, or authorised veterinary surgeon or Veterinary Practitioner in the exercising of their powers of entry may be subject to a fine not exceeding level 2 (£500).
Your Right to Appeal
Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any conditions to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates Court and they may give such directions regarding the Licence or its conditions as they think proper.
Power of Entry
Gateshead Council may authorise competent persons to enter premises either licensed under the Act or specified in an application for a Licence, at all reasonable times, producing if required their authority, and the authorised officers may inspect these premises and an animal or animals in them.
How Long will it take to Process my Application?
If we have not contacted you to make arrangements to complete an inspection within 14 days of your application, please contact us to check that your application was correctly made and received.
, complete and return it.
0191 433 3889