Performing animals registration

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals, in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with your local authority. Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in.

Applications may be subject to a fee.

If you are a current licence holder you can make a change to your licence.

Apply online via

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation summary

Visit to view a summary of the regulation relating to this licence.

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.


The current cost of a license is £99.  The cost to amend a current registrations is £15.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other redress

A police officer or officer of the local authority may make a complaint to the local magistrates' court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.

Trade associations 


Contact us

Trading Standards
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3889

Share this page