Home boarding licence

To look after people's animals in your own home, you need a licence from the local authority. This includes during the day and overnight. The number of dogs  that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

We may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

 Eligibility criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006. In Scotland an applicant must also not be disqualified from working with, using, driving or riding animals, providing services to animals that would involve taking possession of them, taking possession of an animal to carry out any of the activities listed or taking charge of animals for any other purpose

Regulation summary

Visit legislation.gov.uk for a summary of the regulation relating to this licence (Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963).

Application evaluation process

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.


The current cost of a license is £130 (plus the cost of a veterinary inspection if required)

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us by emailing customerservices@gateshead.gov.uk.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance by emailing customerservices@gateshead.gov.uk

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

License holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance by emailing customerservices@gateshead.gov.uk

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you guidance. From outside the UK contact theUK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Please contact us in the first instance by emailing customerservices@gateshead.gov.uk

Icon for word Download the home boarding establishment application form [46.5KB], complete and return it with the fee

Icon for pdf Download the Council's current licence conditions [213.78KB]

Contact us

Trading Standards
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3889

Share this page