Council Tax energy rebate
As part of the Government's initiative to help households with rising energy costs, they awarded a one-off £150 energy rebate for eligible households. We also made additional discretionary energy rebate payments of £20 to eligible residents.
The scheme has now ended and all payments were made by 30 September 2022.
You received £150 energy rebate if:
- your property is in Council Tax band A to D (or band E where there is a disabled band reduction)
- you were liable to pay Council Tax
- the property was your sole and main residence on 01 April 2022
- you were not paying any Council Tax because you receive maximum Council Tax support and have no Council Tax to pay
- the property is in exemption classes N, S, U or W:
N - properties occupied solely by student
S - occupied by under eighteen year olds only
U - occupied only by severely mentally impaired persons
W - annexe occupied by dependant relative
You were not eligible if:
- your property is a second home
- your property was empty on 01 April 2022
- you are in Council Tax bands E to H (some band E properties are eligible where there is a disabled band reduction)
How this affects paying your normal bill
You must continue to pay your Council Tax bill as normal on the dates shown on your bill for 2022/23. If you are struggling to pay, please contact us.
People who share paying the bills
Only one payment of £150 can be paid per property. Where the Council Tax is paid by Direct Debit, the £150 was paid to the account that is used to pay the Council Tax. Where the Council Tax is not paid by Direct Debit, we paid whoever applied for the property, as long as they were one of the liable parties for paying Council Tax.
We were allocated extra funding for vulnerable and low-income households.
We gave an extra £20 to households receiving Council Tax Support (on 1 April 2022) and living in properties in Council Tax bands A to D, which increased the total payments to £170. This payment was received in the same way as the main energy rebate scheme, although not necessarily at the same time as the £150.
Households receiving Council Tax Support (on 1 April 2022), living in Council Tax bands E to H, received £170.
Eligible Council Tax Support claimants did not need to apply for the discretionary payment, it was made automatically.
Find out your Council Tax band
Find out what Council Tax band your property is in.
Find more information about the rebate on the Gov.uk website.