Public consultation on changes to library service to restart due to technical error
On Monday 25 October, a public consultation was launched in relation to proposed changes to Gateshead Council's library service, which would see some library buildings transformed into community spaces that bring together key council services, voluntary and community organisations and neighbourhood groups.
Unfortunately, a major technical problem with the consultation portal has become apparent, meaning that consultation responses have only been partially recorded. This basically means that the submissions cannot be considered valid.
To address this issue, we will need to restart the consultation period from Monday 15 November, and adjust the end date to Friday 4 February 2022, so the consultation still runs for the required 12 weeks.
Alice Wiseman, Director of Public Health, said:
"We sincerely apologise for this very regrettable situation.
"We value every submission received from Gateshead's residents in relation to our consultations, and I would strongly encourage anyone who had previously provided their response to the ongoing library service consultation to do so again.
"As inconvenient as it is, it really is your chance to help us shape the future of your local library service."
Library users can complete the questionnaire online or pick up a printed version from any library.
To enable library users to ask questions regarding the consultation process and the future of library services, the council are hosting a series of drop-in sessions:
- Monday 15 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Birtley Library
- Tuesday 16 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Gateshead Central Library
- Wednesday 17 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Blaydon Library
- Thursday 18 November, 10 to 11.30am at Pelaw Library
- Saturday 20th November, 10 to 11.30am at Crawcrook Library
- Monday 22 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Leam Lane Library
- Thursday 25 November, 10 to 11.30am at Chopwell Library
- Thursday 25 November, 5 to 6.30pm at Gateshead Central Library
- Friday 26 November, 10 to 11.30am at Blaydon Library
- Saturday 27 November, 10 to 11.30am at Pelaw Library
- Monday 29 November, 10 to 11.30am at Gateshead Central Library
- Tuesday 30 November, 2 to 3.30pm at Crawcrook Library
- Wednesday 1 December, 10 to 11.30am at Birtley Library
- Thursday 2 December, 2 to 3.30pm at Chopwell Library
- Saturday 4 December, 10 to 11.30am at Leam Lane Library