Library members can now access thousands of newspapers and magazines free online through PressReader. Find over 7000 titles from the region, UK and around the World.
Have daily newspapers like the Guardian, Evening Chronicle, Independent and Daily Mail downloaded automatically to your device to enjoy every morning. Find weekly titles like the Jewish Chronicle or browse the Sunday newspapers (including the magazines and supplements!) from the comfort of your home.
You'll find popular magazine titles like BBC Good Food, Gardners World, Grazia, Top Gear and Woman and Home along with a range of cycling, sport, tech, lifestyle and wildlife titles.
You can also search for publications from around the world or you can translate articles to the language of your choice.
Via the web
- Click the link to PressReader.com on the library website or type PressReader.com in your browser address bar.
- If you're outside Gateshead Council premises, click Sign In at the top right. If you're on Council premises, go to Step 5.
- On the Welcome to PressReader dialogue, select Library or Group, then type Gateshead in the Search Libraries box and select Gateshead Libraries. (If you're prompted to allow access to your location, click Allow.)
- On the Library or Group Sign In dialogue, type your 10 digit library card number, including the DD (with no spaces)
- Select the publication you want to read from the list that appears.
- Select an issue and move through the publication using the navigation at the bottom of the screen, or go to the next or previous page using the arrows on the right and left of the screen.
- On the "hamburger" menu (three horizontal lines), click Home Feed or News Feed to see the latest stories from all the available publications, or Publications to see the list of available newspapers and magazines.
- To search for a specific title such as the Chronicle newspaper:
- Click Advanced Search at the top right of the home screen
- Click Search by Publication
- Type Chronicle and then choose Chronicle/UK English from the list.
Via the app
- Download the PressReader app from Google Play or the Apple AppStore.
- Click Get Started and click Continue until you see a Sign In screen.
- Below the options for Google, Facebook and Twitter you should see a button marked Libraries and Groups. Touch the button and you should see an option to Search Libraries and Groups.
- Type Gateshead and select Library - Gateshead Libraries, then enter your 10 digit library card number including the DD when prompted.
- For convenience, leave the tick on Stay signed in and then you won't have to repeat this procedure often.
- Touch the green Sign In button, then enter your email address and name when prompted.
- Give your four digit PIN from your library account as the password.
- To exit from a newspaper or magazine once you've opened it, scroll back to the front cover and the navigation controls (Back button) should then appear.