- Housing Benefit
- Benefit calculator
- Local Crisis Support
- Universal Credit
- Discretionary Housing Payments
- Challenge a benefit decision
- Benefit fraud
- Education benefits
- Claiming benefits if you're self-employed
- Benefits support and advice
- How your benefit could be reduced
- Benefits forms and leaflets
- Report a change in circumstances
Winter grants scheme
The government have announced a package of extra targeted financial support for those in need over the winter period, called the Winter Grant Scheme. It will operate from early December 2020 until 31 March 2021.
As part of the scheme, we have been asked to give financial help to vulnerable households and families with children. Families of children entitled to free school meals will be one of the groups who will get this extra help.
If you are eligible for additional help you will be contacted by us by letter before Christmas. The letter will give you details of how you can get extra help to pay for food, utilities like heating and water and other household items.
We and our partners in the voluntary sector recognise that this is a really worrying time for some people and we are here to support you. We offer a range of other forms of support:
- for help to get food, get a prescription, with fuel bills, with day to day tasks, with social care, translation, or just someone to chat to, contact of our our hubs or phone 0191 433 7112
- if you are worried about paying your Council Tax, please email email@example.com or phone 0191 433 3600
- if you need help with benefits, please contact the benefits team by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0191 433 3677
- if you are a council tenant and worried about not being able to pay your rent, you can contact The Gateshead Housing Company on 0191 433 6150
If you're struggling with money problems you can access free, independent and impartial advice by calling the Citizens Advice Gateshead debt hotline on 0191 490 4248. For help with anything else (for example welfare benefits, concerns about your job, discrimination, housing or relationship problems) you can call 0191 478 5100 or visit the Citizens Advice Gateshead website. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.