- Support in your community
- Cases in Gateshead
- Health advice
- Advice for businesses, self-employed and employers
- Advice for jobseekers and people in work
- Coronavirus and claiming benefits
- £500 self-isolation payment
- Advice for families
- Service updates
- Report a concern
- Ask the experts
- Our response to the coronavirus pandemic
- Gateshead COVID-19 Local Outbreak Control Plan
- Coronavirus scams
- Northumbria Local Resilience Forum (NLRF)
- Advice for care providers
- Advice for schools
- School closures
- Free training courses
- Multi language information on staying at home and how to stay well
- Multi language coronavirus advice - how to access support
- Shop local and shop safely
- Gateshead Council COVID-19 Risk Assessments
- A safe return to school
- Covid community champions
Shielding has now been re-introduced as of midnight on the 30 December.
The applies to individuals who have been deemed to be clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV), meaning that they face the highest risk of serious illness if they contract COVID-19. If you are in this group, you may have received a letter from the NHS or from your GP telling you this, and you may have been advised to shield in the past.
The Government is advising clinically extremely vulnerable people to stay at home as much as possible, except to go outdoors for exercise or to attend health appointments.
You may wish to meet up with one other person from outside your household or support bubble, for example, to exercise in an outdoor public place, but we suggest that you always try to do so as safely as possible.
Over this period, we are advising the clinically extremely vulnerable to work from home. If you cannot work from home, you are advised not to go to work and may be eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS), Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.
Clinically extremely vulnerable people should follow the advice set out in the shielding section on the Gov.uk website.
If you need help and support
If you are isolated in Gateshead without any means of support, call the COVID-19 Community Support Hub on 0191 433 7112.
Our COVID-19 Community Support Hub is for people who have no other means of support such as neighbours, family or friends to get access to essentials such as food, medical supplies or who are struggling with their wellbeing and need signposting to services who can help.