- Property and land
- Business rates
- Business support
- Invest in Gateshead
- Trading standards
- Food safety
- Business centres
- Health and Safety
- Free outdoor WiFi
- Covid-19 Local Restrictions Support Grants for businesses
- Christmas Support Payment for wet-led pubs
- Better Broadband in Gateshead
- Facilities Management Solutions
Shop local and shop safely
Across the country, businesses have been hit hard by the pandemic and Gateshead is no exception. We want to give our retailers and small businesses the best possible chance of bouncing back as the lockdown restrictions are eased, but we must stay safe.
We want to encourage businesses and shoppers alike to do their bit to stop the further spread of the virus, avoid a second peak, but help our businesses to bounce back and for life to return as much as possible back to normal.
What you can do
Easing of lockdown measures does not mean the threat posed by COVID-19 has gone away.
It is up to all of us to continue to follow social distancing and public health guidelines while outside and inside shops.
Follow queuing instructions and one-way systems that have been laid out for everyone's safety.
Small independent businesses which are the lifeblood of our borough have been hit hardest by the lockdown. During the outbreak of Covid-19 and the subsequent social restrictions that were introduced, many people developed a greater affinity for their community and felt a deeper sense of belonging to the place they call home. Local businesses are an integral part of our communities and now more than ever they need our support.
Things to remember when shopping local
- please wear a face covering/mask
- shop alone where possible
- walk or cycle to your shopping area if possible
- check if a shop has introduced different exit and entry points
- if there is a queue outside a shop remember to stand 2m apart from other customers
- be aware that a shop may have introduced a new floor layout with different signage and even a one-way system
- while shopping try and stay 2m apart from other customers
- try only to touch things you are going to buy
- using a contactless payment method is preferable
- shopping will take more time, be patient and considerate to both staff and customers
By shopping local, you are doing your bit to support local businesses and maintain local jobs. Many restaurants and shops across the borough are still operating a takeaway and delivery service.
What businesses can do
We are encouraging the use of three hashtags: #GatesheadIsOpen, #ShopLocal, #ShopSafe to encourage people to shop locally now that Central Government has lifted restrictions on non-essential retail shops.
To promote a return to trading please consider posting a photo on your social media channel of your reopened shop using the hashtag #GatesheadIsOpen - we will retweet these to our audience during business hours on Twitter. The hour will run from 4 to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
If there's anything the council can do to further support your business, contact the Business Gateshead team.