Northumbria Local Resilience Forum (NLRF)
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - urgent needs
An increase in demand for both PPE and non-PPE products has put the supply chain under significant pressure.
It is important that usage of PPE equipment across all sectors is in line with Gov.UK national guidance.
Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC) new PPE portal
The DHSC has put in place a PPE portal. This allows healthcare providers to order from a central inventory. The PPE portal can be used by social care and primary care providers to order and receive critical coronavirus (COVID-19) PPE.
Who can use the PPE portal
You can only log in and place an order if you have received an email invitation to register. The PPE portal can be used by:
- residential social care providers
- domiciliary social care providers
- children's care homes and secure homes
- children's residential special schools
If you're a provider in one of these categories, your invitation to register will be sent to your email account registered with:
- Care Quality Commission (CQC),
- NHS Business Services Authority (BSA),
- NHS England
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
When to use the PPE portal
The PPE portal is an emergency top-up system.
You should continue using your business-as-usual and wholesaler routes to access PPE. You should only use the PPE portal for additional PPE if needed and quantities available to order are set out on the website.
National Supply Disruption Response (NSDR)
The NSDR 24/7 helpline 0800 915 9964 is still available if you are not able to get PPE from your usual sources. This is a freephone number in the UK. They may be able to supply emergency and small kits, for example 100-200 units of each type of PPE.
You will need to supply the following information during your call:
- name, email and telephone number of the requestor
- name, email and telephone number of a contact for the next 24 hours (for example out of hours cover if the original requestor will be unavailable)
- delivery address, including postcode; and named contact for receiving deliveries
- confirmation that your organisation can receive the delivery outside of normal business hours
- number of COVID-19 patients being treated (confirmed and suspected)
- number of beds in your organisation (if appropriate)
- details of your current stock situation
- how long your current PPE stock provides cover for (for example less then 24 hours; one to two days, or more than two days)
- which products you are requesting and in what quantity
The NSDR is focused on fulfilling emergency orders, for example orders required in less than 72 hours. They do not have access to the full lines of stock but they are able to mobilise small priority orders quickly.
Local Resilience Forum (LRF)
Very soon there will be no further stocks available from the LRF. We will continue to maintain a small amount of stock for our own use.
We may provide you with a small amount of emergency stock providing that:
- you operate in Gateshead in one of the following type of services:
- adult social care, care homes, home or domiciliary care and supported living;
- personal assistant;
- children's homes, secure children's accommodation, residential special school or other children's care service;
- educational establishment
- mental health community services
- court officers
- mortuary and funeral services.
- your employees currently have close, unavoidable contact with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case;
- you will not be able to continue to provide services without receiving a top up of PPE within the next 72 hours;
- you are ineligible to register on the PPE portal;
- you are unable to source emergency PPE from the NSDR helpline.
Any stock supplied will only cover a short period of time until you are able to source PPE from your usual source and if limited stock is available, the needs of vital services will be prioritised.
This stock will not be distributed to organisations who cannot demonstrate that they meet the latest clinical guidance.
The supply of PPE to NHS Acute Trusts, Ambulance Trusts, GP's, pharmacists, emergency dentists and optical providers is also available from the NHS PPE.
Process to access critical stock
Complete this form to request Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
Only order the PPE that you need for immediate use, do not stock pile, to ensure there is enough to go round.
Raising a request does not guarantee that it can be fulfilled immediately or that stock is available and we may send alternative items from time to time.