Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
View the latest COVID-19 information and advice, including details of the local restrictions.

Gateshead's Local Offer for care leavers

Gateshead has your back - the care leavers app

Download the care leavers app and stay informed on your rights and entitlements, access a directory of services and get information on events. Available free on the App Store and on Google Play, just search for 'Gateshead has your back'.

For more information please phone the Children's Rights and Engagement Team on 0191 433 2647 or email

Under the Children and Social Work Act 2017, the Government introduced the requirement for local authorities to publish their Icon for pdf Local Offer for care leavers. [235KB].

The offer outlines the services for Gateshead care leavers available within the local authority area. This offer is a combination of statutory entitlements as well as how, along with our partners, we can support care leavers over and above the statutory duty. Please note that the local offer is for Gateshead care leavers ONLY and does not yet apply to care leavers from other local authorities who are living in Gateshead (each local area will have their own local offer). 

We've worked with young people and partners to produce the local offer. We will continue to work with all partners to achieve the best we can for our care leavers. 

It is important to get this right for our care leavers and having the right care leavers offer should give our young people:

  • a smooth, planned transition when leaving care
  • an understanding of their entitlements
  • a choice of appropriate accommodation when leaving care 
  • a range of supported opportunities into employment and training
  • an understanding of how and where to seek support
  • support up to the age of 25 by the leaving care team
  • support to gain access to, and make the best use of, services provided by us and our relevant partners.

Contact us

Gateshead Leaving Care Team
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Monday to Thursday from 9am - 5pm and Friday 9am - 4.30pm
0191 433 2723
Out of hours emergency number 0191 477 0844

Share this page