Client: Gentoo and South Tyneside Council
Contract value: £580,000
Contract period: 21 weeks
- The works comprised 133 properties.
- Full electrical rewire to 40% of properties with a further 50% of properties being provided with a Kitchen Rewire.
- 80% of tenants received replacement kitchens.
- 80% benefited from a bathroom replacement.
- Heating/Fire Replacement took place in 90% of homes.
- Installation of five Wet Rooms as part of Disabled Persons Adaptation works.
- Extra works were carried out for tenants for the client.
- Extra resources were made available to ensure completion. This enabled a new property to be made available to be worked on each day.
- Early engagement and regular consultation with tenants was vital to project success. A site office and welfare including respite for vulnerable tenants was established on the estate at the start of the scheme.
- Involvement of specialist Asbestos Removal company resulted in prompt reaction times to any unforeseen asbestos discoveries.
- Working at Height was carefully planned to enable the installation of extract fans in bathrooms and boiler flues in the non-traditional properties, as no penetrations could be made through their external walls.
- Client requested the works be programmed for completion by financial year end due to budgetary constraints; Therefore the whole project had a deadline of 21 weeks.
- Non-traditional properties unexpectedly took longer to complete than the programme initially allowed.
- As works were being carried out to heating systems in the middle of winter, there was limited heating available on site to enable the progression of works
- Waste was handled centrally at Viking Industrial estate to ensure recycling was maximised.
- Project delivered on time by our dedicated Project Management team on behalf of Gentoo Construction.
- Project Management team prevented slippage throughout the works and responded immediately to any issues identified.
- Works on Non-traditional properties could have impacted upon the completion date but extra resources were immediately made available.
- A successful and productive relationship was built up with a client we had not worked for previously.
- Kitchen delivery was centralised to ensure all units were safely stored and protected.