Client: Gateshead Council
Location: Bensham, Gateshead
Contract value: £362,000
Contract period: 24 weeks
- Refurbishment of Bensham Grove Community Centre; an early 19th century villa with Victorian and Georgian features located in a residential area.
- The building has provided the community with adult educational opportunities since the 1920’s.
- A Grade 2 Listed Building, the house still holds many features such as stained glass windows, fireplaces, tiles and decorated ceilings.
- Works were programmed and managed by our experienced in-house Project Management Team.
- Utilised our experienced workforce in conjunction with specialist contractors to expedite the works.
- Joinery works were undertaken on the new internal door sets with period fittings, handmade Meranti display cabinets; timber mouldings to bookshelves and intricate cornice works throughout.
- Worked in partnership with Simpson & Brown Architects, renowned for conservation of major historic buildings within the UK and overseas.
- Lathe and lime plaster was applied to the Drawing Room ceiling.
- Restoration works included a full electrical rewire.
- Stained glass windows were repaired by a specialist contractor.
- Secondary toughened glazing was specified to encapsulate the priceless stained glass panels.
- Potential risks to the project were numerous, as a large portion of work was to restore existing priceless features and sympathetically recreate original pieces within the property.
- Interior decoration was specified to match the buildings original Victorian theme.
- The restored building has created a proper balance between the aesthetic quality of the past and active contemporary community education uses.
- As part of local community involvement the resident Pottery Class created period tiling for the floor within the Conservatory.